Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best place to go to university in USA? (Esp. California) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=239344)

jason_t 04-25-2005 04:55 PM

Re: Best place to go to university in USA? (Esp. California)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boston would be my choice, but I'm a bit biased. The only real con I could think of is that it gets cold in the winter and I HATE COLD

[/ QUOTE ]

Another con: East Coast girls = meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, at least in the northeast. I was in FLA and the girls there were generally good looking. I get back home and see a bunch of pale bitches. Damn. Even worse, I go back to school and there are no girls!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I should have clarified and said Northeast. There are some fine girls further south for sure, and even in Virginia.

kenberman 04-25-2005 04:57 PM

location should really only be an issue for you if you are debating 2 equal (or close to equal) schools.

For instance, if you are debating whether or not to go to Stanford or MIT, well, you'll probably be good at both places, and location preference becomes a factor.

If you only get into Stanford and Boston College (unlikely, I know) location should really not be a large factor. BC is a good school, but it's not Stanford.

Ditto for MIT/Harvard vs a good but not great West Coast school.

sfer 04-25-2005 05:03 PM

For every big-time research university in the US, there is a big difference between graduate and undergraduate education. As an undergrad at Berkeley, you will not be sitting in lectures with Nobel Laureates. This is not to say that undergrad profs there aren't good at what they do, but don't put too much credence into rankings like this.

Schneids 04-25-2005 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

6. University of Minnesota

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up any publication that makes "most liveable places in america" lists and you'll find Minnesota at the top.

JTG51 04-25-2005 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boston would be my choice, but I'm a bit biased. The only real con I could think of is that it gets cold in the winter and I HATE COLD

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty big con. The weather in LA or SD is about a million times nicer than Boston. Maybe more.

SomethingClever 04-25-2005 05:10 PM

Location-wise, it's hard to beat Pepperdine.

Edit: Didn't notice you're looking at grad schools. I know they have Law at Pepperdine, but I'm not sure what else in the way of grad programs.

http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/images...University.jpg

gumpzilla 04-25-2005 05:12 PM

The list posted is almost certainly not an undergraduate ranking, but specifically a ranking of the reptuation of various economics Ph.D. programs. MIT being near the top there is a giveaway.

kenberman 04-25-2005 05:14 PM

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

6. University of Minnesota

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up any publication that makes "most liveable places in america for Eskimo's" lists and you'll find Minnesota at the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

partygirluk 04-25-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The list posted is almost certainly not an undergraduate ranking, but specifically a ranking of the reptuation of various economics Ph.D. programs. MIT being near the top there is a giveaway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is specifically for PhDs.

boedeker 04-25-2005 05:18 PM

UGA