Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   This Makes up for ALL Bad Beats: Lucky Tournament (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=238873)

Degen 04-25-2005 01:40 PM

Re: This Makes up for ALL Bad Beats: Lucky Tournament

ya cool, if you want to gambool it up, go for it.

i was merely pointing out what is considered by most to be optimal SNG strategy, and the commonly held notion of optimal SNG strategy is to 'fold until level 4'

Andre

Degen 04-25-2005 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, degan/GF/BT is right

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer Andre.

Andre

Degen 04-25-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i suck at actually playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Andre

Who also sucks at playing poker

illab 04-25-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read the hand history closely so I didn't catch the A2 hand, but I disagree with the people who act like playing anything other than big pairs and AK in the first levels has to be -EV. Aleo's guide has a lot of good guidelines, but its not the only way to be sucessful in SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to sound like a forum ass, but you have a lot to learn.

For one, do you know the difference between cEV and $EV?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I know the difference between cEV and $EV. I'd also like to think i've already learned quite a bit before reading the guide since I was keeping a 25% roi in the $22s. I don't play as many STTs any more because I'm enjoying MTTs, so maybe that why my perspective is different. I think pushfests get kinda of boring and there are less bad beats after you see a flop or more. It just seems that a lot of people on this forum are completely allergic to playing any post flop poker.

I played a lot hands that you guys might call crap (suited aces, suited connectors, A10os, KQos)especially in the small blind or if the pot odds looked decent in levels 1 or 2. Once I played enough sngs I was confident enough in my abilities to outplay people after the flop. I am willing to see a couple more flops for the chance to double up. I could usually count on having over 1k in chips instead of 600 or so by the time the bubble levels started. I was usually at least 3 tabling without a problem, I can understand people 7,8 tabling needing fold almost any hand early. Not telling everyone else they have to play my way, just that there are other ways to play.

iMsoLucky0 04-25-2005 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think pushfests get kinda of boring and there are less bad beats after you see a flop or more. It just seems that a lot of people on this forum are completely allergic to playing any post flop poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is a very boring game when played this way. However, it is (in my and several other winning players) opinion that it is the most profitable way to play. This is true especially if you are playing more than 2 tables at a time, as you agreed with. And I will agree with you that it 'seems' people on this forum are allergic to postflop play, but that is just because of the structure of SNGs on party. The best way to beat them is to conserve as many chips as possible in order to steal blinds when they become valuable.

[ QUOTE ]
I played a lot hands that you guys might call crap (suited aces, suited connectors, A10os, KQos)especially in the small blind or if the pot odds looked decent in levels 1 or 2. Once I played enough sngs I was confident enough in my abilities to outplay people after the flop. I am willing to see a couple more flops for the chance to double up. I could usually count on having over 1k in chips instead of 600 or so by the time the bubble levels started

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, that once you become good enough to steal in the right spots, these chips become worthless. It also becomes -$EV to try and win them (even thgh they are +cEV). This is because your %chance of busting early goes up, where your %chance of winning (or making it itm) does not increase that much.

I am not saying the way you are playing is bad, or that you will lose money at it. All I am trying to show is that you can win more money playing a simpler style, eliminating the gamble and 'play' from tournaments. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]