Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How much of a risk averse wuss am I? Won't move up to 10/20.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=237387)

IlliniRyRy 04-22-2005 12:36 PM

Re: How much of a risk averse wuss am I? Won\'t move up to 10/20....

[ QUOTE ]
i have no idea why, but i had a dream about you last night. you were 2 to my right at gamesgrid in a $1/2 N/L game. you had me in a bad way with set over set, but i hit my one outer for quads on the turn, when we both got all our money in. maybe this post should go in the phsych forumn? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? No offense, but I don't recall your screen name, have we played before?

Anyway...yeah I play at eurobet, it's a pain in the ass to upload hand histories. I just stopped doing it. Anyone know of an efficient and quick way to do it?

IlliniRyRy 04-22-2005 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My honest opinion after thinking some more (and I don't say this for any reason other than to answer the question you posed) is that you probably should continue to improve your game before moving up. My thoughts:

1. The win rate is very good but not great in very soft games, seems like your postflop play could use some improvement.

2. The tone of your post indicates you are pretty risk averse (I am as well). Given how swingy the 10-20 six max will be I would say work on your game and then move up.

My personal opinion, and don't mean to be controversial is many posters move up too quickly rather than too slowly. FWIW I am solidly over 2bb/100 at my current level and feel I have a lot of improving to do before moving up to the next level. I also want to get 100k-150k hands under my belt to build the bankroll and build my skills.

Just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. I agree, people like us are definitely in the minority, most winning poker players move up too quickly than too slowly.

tripdad 04-22-2005 12:49 PM

as for your post, i think your hesitation has everything to do with the swings in a 6-max game. i had the same type of win rate as you in the $5/10 6-max, and also made a lot of money there. i gave it up, though, because i was really on a rollercoaster emotionally as far as always questioning my game.

i moved to $5/10 full for a bit, but it was an absolute rock garden. then, i moved down to $3/6 full, had a very easy time there. it got kinda boring for me, and i had been playing a lot of live pot limit and no limit with very good success, so i moved all my play online to that as well. the rake back is not nearly as good, but swings are almost non-existent, and my income there is actually quite a bit better than any limits i've played.

i may one day move back to limit poker, but right now, i'm having lots of fun and winning lots of money in the world of N/L-P/L.

my advice is simply to get away from 6-max games for a bit, and see if that doesn't give you more confidence in your play and reduce stress in your life.

cheers!

dealer_toe 04-22-2005 01:03 PM

if your at eurobet, they load up the same was as party. Which is super easy, just click the upload and it does it all by itself. There should be no reason you aren't using PT then.

dogmeat 04-22-2005 01:22 PM

I don't see a major push to move up. I'm playing mostly $5/$10 with some $10/20 and $15/30, but I don't mind grinding away at Games Grid playing some $2/$4 and $3/$6.

If you need the money or have major goals, then perhaps there is a reason to try and move up quickly, but in my case, I'm comfortable and have a BR way over what I need. On the other hand, I have no stress - I play when I want, and I get to travel a bit, go to concerts etc. and don't worry too much about when, or even "if", I'll ever get to $20/$40 or higher on a full-time basis. Who cares?

Play poker to enjoy it. If the higher limits are intimidating or ruin your enjoyment of the game, don't move up.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Equal 04-22-2005 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't kept track in awhile because pokertracker is so labor intensive

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd give the guy some advice, but reading his post is so labour intensive. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BottlesOf 04-22-2005 01:34 PM

You won't try 10/20 6max with a 60K roll? Yes, you are a total wuss. And when I'm saying this, you KNOW you need to reexamine things

Bluffoon 04-22-2005 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing online for 3 years or so, played 1-2 for about a year, moved up to 3-6, did very well there, played 5-10 for most of the time and did well, built up about a 40k bankroll and gave 15-30 a shot last year, where I made 5k and then went on a 7k losing streak, then I quit and went back down to 5/10 6max, where I've been ever since. I now have 60k in the bank, but I'm still scared about dealing with the swings in the 10/20 6max. My bb/100 is probably only like 1.5 or so, I haven't kept track in awhile because pokertracker is so labor intensive, but most of my experience in the 5/10 6max has been pretty frustrating, even though I've made a very decent amount of money over the long haul. Am I a total wuss for not giving 10-20 6max a shot, despite the large bankroll?? I just get so caught up in the variance sometimes, I think I'm starting to deal with it much better lately, but it still bothers me. It doesn't adversely affect my play, just my level of happiness. Anyone here as risk averse as I am?? I need some encouragement. If I'm only beating the 5/10 by maybe 2 bb/100 at the most, I'm going to go through hell at 10-20 aren't I? I'll grow as a player, and I can certainly withstand the losses financially, but I'll be totally depressed. Then again, maybe I'll rock it, so is the reward worth the risk? Help!

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you are scared. What are you scared of? If you take ten percent of your roll and take a shot at 10/20 you will still have enough to buy a BMW left over if you don't make it. Is it failure? The only way to fail is not to try. Or to give up.

Why don't you take a couple of hundred big bets and dedicate that to 10/20 and spend the first half of your sessions at 10/20 and the second half at 5/10? That way you will be grinding out your profit at 5/10 even if your shot at 10/20 doesn't work out?

Whatever you decide good luck and good playing.

BIGRED 04-22-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway...yeah I play at eurobet, it's a pain in the ass to upload hand histories. I just stopped doing it. Anyone know of an efficient and quick way to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly are you importing your hands? Aren't you using the HH's saved on your C:\?

bicyclekick 04-22-2005 02:29 PM

omfg. 60k roll and your scared for 10/20? This has got to be a joke post.