Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   JJ, I check my overpair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=228462)

bakku 04-08-2005 11:23 AM

Re: JJ, I check my overpair

[ QUOTE ]
when was the last time you posted a hand where you didn't totally eff it up?

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't remember the last time i even posted a hand. also, what would be the point of posting a hand i played perfectly?

MoreWineII 04-08-2005 11:23 AM

Given your description, button doesn't have a better hand than you. Why not make another bet or two off of the fool?

bakku 04-08-2005 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I would still bet I think and hope the donk raised so that I could 3-bet and face everyone with 2 cold that way. Not quite as slick a pot protection move but it's less risky and still works. Don't hate your play though.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, i couldn't tell you which line i think is better. i figured button wouldn't raise the field unless he had at least a decent pair or any kind of draw. however, i figured if it got checked to him he'd try and steal the pot. betting out does guarantee money gets in the pot, though.

i'll post my thoughts on the turn/river when i post the results.

BigEndian 04-08-2005 11:48 AM

I think your better line is to bet and hope he raises the flop for your value then. You'd then get the choice to gp with a smooth call looking for overcalls (higher variance) or 3-betting to clear the field (lower variance).

I think you can either bet or CR the river. I think I like bet because I can't fold to a 3-bet.

- Jim

bakku 04-08-2005 11:57 PM

Results and thoughts

Although the button was really laggy I don't think he's raising the whole field on the flop unless he's got at least a decent pair or a draw. I did think if it got checked to him he'd take a stab at the pot. I figured it'd be the best way to protect my hand.

When button checks through on the flop I'm pretty certain he has absolutely nothing so when he raises an essentially blank turn he's most likely on a pure bluff. Since he's almost always raising any 2 paint and any Ace PF, he most likely has 3 or less outs to catch up and I don't mind giving up a 3-bet in order to let him bluff the river. If I 3-bet the turn he's likely to fold right there, which I don't exactly want. The only thing is, I forgot to c/r the river in case the 9 hit him or he feels like paying me off with K high or something.

He had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the rivered OESFD

CallMeIshmael 04-09-2005 12:01 AM

Re: Results and thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
He had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the rivered OESFD

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it.

Kaz The Original 04-09-2005 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can dig the flop play. I'd bet as a default, but I think your line is plenty reasonable.

Let's talk about a river check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I like. He's betting a 10 on the flop.