Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Last hand in Aruba. Did Brenes play right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=228357)

Smoothcall 04-08-2005 10:29 AM

Re: Last hand in Aruba. Did Brenes play right?

Agreed.

Smoothcall 04-08-2005 10:31 AM

I think your being a little hard on him here. He's playing headup and has a pair. While i think there are better spots, iv'e seen much worse plays. He could have been Mike mattusow and have 85 off.

Smoothcall 04-08-2005 10:33 AM

He is hoping Layne is on a typical steal raise and mucks his hand and he can pick up the 500k plus pot.

Smoothcall 04-08-2005 10:38 AM

E.Brenes also won a tourney at the hard rock in vegas main event with the big boys. It was small entries compared to other big events but he still beat alot of the best players there too. Not saying he's great but might be little better than they made him look on tv. His brother's are pretty good players who probably have taught him a winning strategy.

Rushmore 04-08-2005 10:42 AM

On its face, it's not a great play, because it really looks like he's over-valuing his deuces.

On further examination, I like it more and more for the following reasons:

His fold equity HAS to be higher than it would be against virtually any other player for two reasons: Flack is more likely to be speeding, and Flack might be more likely to lay down a marginally-callable hand, believing himself very able to outplay Brenes (and Brenes should know this).

The other reason should be obvious enough: Brenes shouldn't want to be trading jabs with Flack, he should be closing his eyes real tight and throwing big roundhouse punches in the hope of connecting, which is exactly what happened.

The best player does not always win, obviously, but if Brenes made his play for the reasons above, he is a better player than I gave him credit for.

If he made the play because "Hey! I have a pair!!" or "It's my lucky hand!!" then he's JUST a luckbox, and I guess God loves a luckbox.

drewjustdrew 04-08-2005 11:51 AM

One thing I don't like about the play is that this isn't the first time he reraised all-in preflop against Layne when they got heads up. If Layne gets suspicious that he is going to see a lot of this behavior, that opens up the number of hands he will be willing to call with. Granted, Brenes will be the favorite in a lot of those cases, but probably not worth the risk.

riffraff 04-08-2005 11:51 AM

I think the point is that there is virtualy no hand Flack can have where Brenes is a favorite. Other than an ace-duece or King-deuce it's either a 4.5-1 dog or 50/50. With equal chip stacks this is a pretty bad move.

drewjustdrew 04-08-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the point is that there is virtualy no hand Flack can have where Brenes is a favorite. Other than an ace-duece or King-deuce it's either a 4.5-1 dog or 50/50. With equal chip stacks this is a pretty bad move.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point really is, he PROBABLY (not actually) isn't a huge dog if called and it is likely that Layne will fold more often than call.

willie 04-08-2005 12:59 PM

it was awful it's pocket douches for crissakes.

at best he's a coinflip if called

i really really don't like this play.

edit- meh

the push is ok, but i kind of think he was overanxious with a pair. that said he is up against one of the best nl players in the world, out of position with 22.

Goodie54 04-08-2005 01:12 PM

But can layne call if he doesn't have a legitimate hand? Even if he thinks that Brenes doesn't want to be called, he still can't call with something like 10 7 or K 6.

It was a good push, Layne just woke up with a hand.

Peace

Goodie