Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Reraising preflop with 97o (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=222403)

DeeJ 03-30-2005 05:29 AM

Results and thoughts

Yes, I have 9 high.

[ QUOTE ]
you will be getting almost 3:1 on the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Worth a shot I thought.

The point was to isolate, yes, which worked as the flop was unlikely to have hit BB and will appear scary to him as I 3-bet preflop unless he has a Jack or 3, or a big pair, which I think is less than about a 25% chance.

I thought I had about a 50% chance of getting heads-up with the nutter by firing out again on the turn; the side pot just about covered my outlay. Then it was simply if I beat the nutter or not.

Nutter has K2o and takes the hand. But he showed down 62o previously and loses it all a couple of hands later with 63s.

I lost $2.

Chris Dow 03-30-2005 06:21 AM

Re: Results and thoughts

It's worse than that because when your isolation play fails you chip spew at the big blind trying to maximize your loses with ... 9 high. Not the correct time to do this at all. Poor play.

The Dude 03-30-2005 06:29 AM

Re: Reraising preflop with 97o

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even typically complete the SB in an unraised pot with that piece of goo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not folding 97o from the SB in an unraised pot. Not if there's one limper, not if there's two limpers, not if there's 8 limpers. I am, however, folding it to a button raise, no matter how loose he is.

Chris Dow 03-30-2005 06:29 AM

Agreed dude, you can take flops for half a bet out of the sb with 97o.

DeeJ 03-30-2005 06:52 AM

The isolation play doesn't fail. I get both the EP and the CO poster to fold, leaving just the BB who is a decent player.

He doesn't know I have got 9 high, and I rarely bluff. He may well have KQs or AQs or AKs or ATs or 88 or 77 (that's the kind of hand I think he may call 2 cold with). If I was him I would put me on AJo/AJs or JJ or better, at the turn, unless he read my play as a purely isolation one which with the others in I reckoned he wouldn't.

If he doesn't have a Jack or overpair he's going to find it very hand to call a reraising player who bets into that fairly raggy flop.

That all said, it was marginal and I would have been happier if I had had a Queen rather than a nine [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and after the showdown he says "wtf?".

Chris Dow 03-30-2005 06:58 AM

This play still sucks and is fundamentally wrong.

The Dude 03-30-2005 07:03 AM

BTW DeeJ, I'm with the camp that says this play sucks.

DeeJ 03-30-2005 07:03 AM

Noted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Carmine 03-30-2005 12:07 PM

I make this play when the opportunity arises. However, the timing needs to be right. Button just lost one or two in a row and he just wants to get it over with. He will play any two cards at this point. If there were a few hands between his last loss and his raise then there is too good a chance he may have a legit hand.

I also need a little better holding than 97o. A little more high card strength. Q9 etc.