Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Big Jump - From Party $100NL to $1000NL?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213597)

droidboy 03-15-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Big Jump - From Party $100NL to $1000NL??

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is the NL1000 game significantly harder than the NL100 game?

2. Is a 30K bankroll enough to play the NL1000 gamne?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yes. The problem isn't that the game is less profitable. The problem is that the fish are going to be unlike the fish in the NL100. So the things that used to work, will no longer work. In fact, I would expect that at that level the play of the fish is probably tailored to beating those who are used to the NL100 game.

2. I would expect not. The rule of thumb is that a 5/10 NL game is close to a 50/100 limit game. At 50/100, 30K is 300 big bets, but at that level, even regular pros probably want 50K, if not 100K. Since you aren't a regular yet, it'll take you a while to become aclimated to the new game conditions, thus increasing your bankroll requirements.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com

neon 03-15-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take out five thousand from your account right now and send it to my home, look at your account again, and realize that I'm not giving it back... I promise I'll have my girl scream your name after I buy her expensive jewelry with your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Yeah bitch.

Ulysses 03-15-2005 07:54 PM

Yes, Yes for a winning player.

I've played short periods in all of these games. Move up to the 200 and 400 and 600. They are great games and you should be happy to have them as a stepping stone. They are tougher than the 100, but not much. But the jump in aggression and competition from the 100 to the 1000 is huge. The 1000s are not the toughest games around, but there are a number of players who will be much tougher than anything seen in the 100.

This progression on party is a godsend for anyone wanting to learn NL. 25->50->100->200->400->600->1000 is pretty much the easiest route to getting good at decent stakes NL that has ever existed in poker.

Shaun 03-15-2005 08:03 PM

Pre-flop mistakes are pretty much nullified by good post-flop play. Especially when you are talking about limping with a decent stack behind.

fsuplayer 03-15-2005 08:04 PM

you been moving up in these games yet?

100BB=g00t

Shaun 03-15-2005 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you been moving up in these games yet?

100BB=g00t

[/ QUOTE ]

I have dabbled in the 400's and 600's but not long enough for any significant results.

I played the 1000's briefly (an hour) but bought in for 500 a pop. I need more bankroll for that game- ended up down about 650 (nothing for that game) then felt like I was putting too much bankroll at risk and bailed out.

Still, the 1000's seem to have more loose action than the games in between 100 and 1000 and I'd like to get in on it.

The biggest game in the house often gets the biggest gamblers and that's probably why the pot averages in the 1000s are relatively good compared to the medium sized games. I hope to playing them within 6 months.

Loci 03-15-2005 09:01 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

cero_z 03-21-2005 07:53 AM

HIJACK for Bragging Purposes

Hi soah,

[ QUOTE ]
there are many people playing in the 1000s that have flaws in their game at very fundamental levels. For example...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
limp UTG+1 with Q2s.

[/ QUOTE ] --Check
[ QUOTE ]
limp UTG with A9s, minraise from MP with ace-rag, and there's even the occasional player that will play damn near every single hand.

[/ QUOTE ] -- Check, check, check.

I think you're a little inflexible in your NL thinking. From what I've observed online and in live play, the players who play this way, and play well post-flop, win the most, albeit with pretty high variance. I am talking about the shorthanded games, which is all I play on Party. I'm probably among the winningest handful of players in this game over the short time they've been available, and yet I get called a fish at nearly every table I play. People are constantly treating me like I'm a tilting maniac, though I seem to stack them again and again. What could be sweeter? I don't own Pokertracker, but I'm guessing my profile is something like 5million/7kajillion. In a recent post, you ridiculed the notion that K4s could be playable UTG. In a 6-Max game, I play it upwards of 80% of the time; I need a very good reason to fold it (like I've raised 6 pots in a row, and I'm certain they're gonna make it expensive if they have anything). In a 10-handed game, I guarantee you I'd play it about 25% or more; depends on how much raising is going on, and to how large a % of our stacks.

I respect your TAG approach, soah, and I respect the knowledge you display in your posts. But you cheat yourself if you fail to consider the validity of different approaches.

cero_z 03-21-2005 08:00 AM

Back on task.

Hi AgileMike,

Question #1: Much tougher, IMO, though you are surely ready to move up to a bigger game with those stats. I assure you that the games play nothing alike, despite the similar pot avgs. Also, isn't the 100NL 50XBB buy-in game? 100X plays substantially different (I'm sure you know this), so you might consider buying in short if you move up. I'd try the 400 first if I were you.

Question #2: Depends how well you play, and what style you play, but I'd tend to say no. However, there's nothing wrong with taking a shot with 5 or 10K, and dropping down if it goes bad. You might win a lot of money before you have a chance to blink. But I still think most of us (me included for sure) should take baby steps when moving up.

KaneKungFu123 03-21-2005 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You probably already know this, but Party considers uncalled bets to be part of the pot for the purpose of determining the average pot size. So sometimes tables will appear to have very big pots but really it's a lot of aggressive play which results in many large uncalled bets. As you move up the players get more aggressive so this will definitely impact the lobby stats somewhat. Also, some guy moving all-in for $5000 when his opponent only has $200 left will completely screw up the average pot size for that table since that extra $4800 is still counted as part of the pot. So I guess what I'm saying is, don't just look at the table stats and try to make judgements. You need to actually open up a few tables and see how the money is going into the pot -- are there people raising UTG with KJo and going to showdown with top pair? Or is there a lot of action coming from late-position players who are selectively applying pressure?

All that said though, there are many people playing in the 1000s that have flaws in their game at very fundamental levels. For example, I've seen one player who is supposedly winning quite a bit of money limp UTG+1 with Q2s. I've seen people limp UTG with A9s, minraise from MP with ace-rag, and there's even the occasional player that will play damn near every single hand. And that only covers the preflop leaks. You don't need to do anything special to win -- just identify the mistakes that people are making and take advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

limping utg w/A9s isnt a mistake if a few people have already doubled up and the satkes are big. raising is better though, but ill limp in some situations for specific reasons.