Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pros, what's your biggest downswing? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=210621)

Lestat 03-10-2005 06:44 PM

Re: Pros, what\'s your biggest downswing?

Thanks hogger. That's some good info. I'm starting to see that Party has a rep for major aggressiveness much like the notorious Commerce games. I know a very successful Vegas old timer who heard about the great games in Cali. He came back with his tail between his legs. This was a while ago and that's HIS story, not mine. The bottom line is adjustment. I'm sure I've got quite a few to make. I just need to figure out where. So far I'm at a loss. Thanks for responding!

Lestat 03-10-2005 06:46 PM

Re: 700 BB...

Wow! Now that's sobering dude. Thanks for sharing.

URMeowed 03-10-2005 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided not to give that info out. I'm pretty well known where I play and even though I might not "necessarily have a strong grasp of poker", my reputation does not come from being one of the biggest fish. I can tell you that I do some traveling and follow the side games at some of the larger tournaments. I don't mean to be rude or sound like a snob, but I have my reasons for keeping my indentity confidential. At least for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok. By stating this, I already know that you play in one of the smaller cardrooms, where the lineup is mostly all regulars. I would venture to guess Northern California but there are other cardrooms around the country that regularly spread 40/80 where the makeup is mostly locals.
[ QUOTE ]
And I thought cats had good intuition? -lol. You couldn't be MORE wrong. I tilt less than any pro I know

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was that you tilt frequently when you play online thus leading to your bad stats. Online poker is a different animal compared to live poker. It seems much easier to tilt when playing online and I know many live players that struggle with the transition.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know too many successful pros who have problems with tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I know a ton of successful pros that tilt. Jennifer Harman is a known steamer. I don't think being a successful pro precludes you from tilting. I remember watching all those high limit pros all playing with each other and wondering who really wins up there. Then I remember hearing about the law of least tilt. All of them are very astute in most forms of poker. Where the edge comes from is some players are better than others in a particular form of poker and the one that tilts the least that session will win.

Meow.

JAA 03-10-2005 06:52 PM

700 BB over 13K hands? You had to have gone on tilt, right?

- Jags

URMeowed 03-10-2005 06:53 PM

If I ever went through 700 BB's, I would put myself to sleep.

Meow.

Vaftrudner 03-11-2005 02:54 AM

I've played a couple of 100 k hands and never seen anything like it. I know it isn't of course but I could have sworn it was rigged. No matter what I did, I couldn't log a winning session. No good feeling to know that you're gonna loose when you start a game... But yes, somewhere along the road I lost it, starting to throw away chips too easily... .. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] /v

sthief09 03-11-2005 03:44 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll quit playing if I ever hit 500

Joseph Busti 03-11-2005 03:53 AM

I have a buddy that beats the games for around 3BB/100 for over 500k hands. He once had a 600 BB downswing.

Edit: During that 600BB downswing they became even after 30k hands. Basically your 50k hands means nothing since you've proven over 9 years you're a winning player.

JAA 03-11-2005 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a buddy that beats the games for around 3BB/100 for over 500k hands. He once had a 600 BB downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound odd to some people, but this makes sense. He is obviously a good player, and is probably playing more hands than the average 2+2er (but turning them into winners). This increases both his EV and his fluctuations. I'd be curious to see what his VPIP is. I bet it is 21+.

I don't think it's possible to have a 600BB downswing with a VPIP<19ish (assuming the person is beating the game pretty well).

Anyone have thoughts on this? - Jags

Vaftrudner 03-11-2005 05:07 AM

never say never...