Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Freakish Tourney Situation: What Would You Do? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=190428)

Beerfund 02-05-2005 06:12 PM

Re: Freakish Tourney Situation: What Would You Do?

You played so bad you almost deserve to lose.

Daliman 02-06-2005 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played so bad you almost deserve to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I agree with Beerfund.

THis is getting seriously odd.....

Martin Aigner 02-06-2005 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In any event, it was a really screwed-up situation. If you play this game long enough, you'll see some strange-ass things

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Strange thing 1:

The hand before, where AJ and KQ got involved in a huge pot OTF. Both hands donīt really want to see a flop with little money, and if the money was deep the AJ call was ridiculous, unless he knew what the other had, which makes him an outsider to win the pot but +EV in tourney chips for that call. Still this woudlnīt make the call correct necessarily.

Strange thing 2:

A call pf. with 88 in this given situation.

Sttange thing 3:

A guy who gets frustrated that his maybe leaves-me-with-two-outs-flop is been taken away.

Strange thing 4:

A call with 88 on the flop in this szenario without flopping at least trips.

Just my thoughts

Martin Aigner

Martin Aigner 02-06-2005 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the turn call is a close question, but I think folding is the right answer. Getting 4.5x preflop, I think a call is OK so long as I'm willing to fold to a big bet from the BB. The flop call was a tilt play: I did it instantly, without going through my usual processes, as a result of the dealer mistake. It's likely wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems you still donīt get it. Nothing in this hand was close. The right play was as obvious as it can be.

Donīt usually think result orientated, but if you hadnīt played the hand the way you did you might have won the seat, since you likely wouldnīt have played the hand where you ran into KK. Of course you might have still lost, but surviving into 3rd is all this game was about, since there was no difference between 1st and 3rd. How to survive? By not playing any cards when nor really necessary. AA might be the only one hand you should have played in that situation, and even this was close.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

REL18 02-06-2005 04:30 AM

The real problem is that the original poster making the errors still doesnt see how poor his play was. PF FOLD PF FOLD

snakehead 02-06-2005 04:16 PM

since you play 100-200 and 200-400, why are you wasting time playing supersatellites?

Howard Treesong 02-06-2005 05:43 PM

I play stud at those levels, but not usually hold 'em. Part of that, of course, is that I know most of the stud players at the Commerce and know what lineups to avoid. I'll play 80-160 limit hold 'em from time to time, but I'm not nearly so comfortable playing NLH ring games. Moreover, I'd busted out of the main tourney, I was tired, and the stud board was fifteen names long.

BTW, the [censored] factor at the 400-800 limit hold 'em at the Commerce last night was immense. One guy got into it with another guy's girlfriend who was sweating, and had a memorable quote: "Bitch, if you'd suck that, you'd suck ANYTHING." Now that's CLASS.

Howard Treesong 02-06-2005 05:45 PM

Incredible sent of runs? Huh? Is this heading for some line about what the Matador will do with $15K? Seriously, if he doubles once, he's ahead of me, and he called UTG -- signalling strength.

Howard Treesong 02-06-2005 05:57 PM

Thanks for the cogent analysis. If you read my initial post, my question went to the proper turn play. But in your frenzy to be a witty dick, you apparently lost sight of the question.

As for the preflop play, I didn't ask the question here because there's more data that I didn't articulate because it wasn't relevant to the question I asked. The preflop play may well be an error on my part, but remember that if the ten seat (who called UTG) doubles once, I'm in fourth position.

jayheaps 02-06-2005 06:09 PM

back to serious poker talk here. given that you chose to play the hand, I think you have to fold in this satelite. The chips are still sufficiently deep and you can still probably get a seat.

I probably would have either raised or folded preflop. Was there a side pot worth winning?