Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Quitting Poker (LONG) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=189559)

Awesemo 02-03-2005 10:48 PM

Re: Quitting Poker (LONG)

I started playing when I was a senior in high school on partypoker. I have to say that I am surprised that you are quitting. I didn't find it a problem to balance poker and a social life, much like many kids in high school have part time jobs. In addition, I was able to use the money I made to basically do whatever I wanted. Personally, I can see myself being a lifetime poker player. Poker will allow me to take a low paying job such as a teacher while making most of my income from poker. As for your grades, I highly doubt that a college will not accept you based on your senior grades, especially your second semester senior grades. My opinion is that you should prioritize. My priorities are something like this, 1) friends 2) poker 3) school 4) family 5) girls.

Adde 02-03-2005 10:48 PM

All the right moves. Great thought provoking post. You'll do great in the future, I'm sure of.

Adde

sfwusc 02-03-2005 11:12 PM

I dont agree with the ranking, but I alright have a job.

God 1st! Then after that

1) CPA Exam
2) Poker
3) School
4) Girls if i didnt date bitches it would be higher

SFWUSC

daryn 02-03-2005 11:20 PM

i thought this would be another BS post about some clown hitting a bad run and quitting poker. thanks for proving me wrong. good post.

i think a lot of young kids need to be careful regarding poker. there are so much more things better to do when you are that age. like someone said the game will always be here. but you won't always be 17.

congrats for figuring it out yourself, let this be a lesson to others.

nongice626 02-03-2005 11:20 PM

1. pussy
2. ass
3. tits
4. stomach
5. face
6. hair
7. poker
8. food

thats all...

nongice626 02-03-2005 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought this would be another BS post about some clown hitting a bad run and quitting poker. thanks for proving me wrong. good post.

i think a lot of young kids need to be careful regarding poker. there are so much more things better to do when you are that age. like someone said the game will always be here. but you won't always be 17.

congrats for figuring it out yourself, let this be a lesson to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe im the only young player around capable of balancing his work (poker) and social life. Does OP no longer need money? Who pays for his lunch at school?

ChrisCo 02-03-2005 11:24 PM

Not to knock you or anything Awesemo, but I just don't see how a highschool student can play at a high enough level to make it worthwhile to play poker, while still keeping a healthy balance of school and a socail life. And by making it worthwhile I mean you must be pulling in a minumum of 25k a year atleast for me. That level is probably considerably less to most teenagers but that is because I live pretty comfortably as does my parents. Although I am confident I could pull in those numbers I just would rather focus on other activities right now. I don't know the level that you play at but you have to put in a decent amount of time and really have to dedicate yourself to the game to do this when you have other things like school involved. It is simply a rough life for a teenager to live when he has to go through the phsycological problems that poker creates such as massive downswings. How many teenagers do you think can really drop 2k in one night and still feel good about themselves in the morning? Not to many that I know of. I know I struggled through my downswings.

Just from you ranking Poker above family and even girls when you are a highschool student shows to most people that you don't have a healthy balance of poker in your life.

Also colleges can reject you just from one D in your required classes even after you have been accepted.

Awesemo I am curious as to what stakes you play at and how old you are now?

Wake up CALL 02-03-2005 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe im the only young player around capable of balancing his work (poker) and social life. Does OP no longer need money? Who pays for his lunch at school?

[/ QUOTE ]

His parents pay, who else? I like the post but felt a bit more honesty as to his reasons for quitting would have made for a better story.

TheMetetron 02-03-2005 11:30 PM

Okay, it's been a few years since I went to Poly so maybe I'm confused here. Isn't it like waaay better and harder to get into than Chico? Like they don't even seem like comparisons or something someone would be contemplating the different. Poly is hugely conservative, not a huge party school by far, and overall a very "good" school. Chico is liberal, party as all hell, and doesn't quite look the best on a resume.

I don't know wtf I'm trying to say here, but maybe something just isn't clicking with me when someone says they are choosing between Poly and Chico. Regardless, good luck with your endeavor.

TheMetetron 02-03-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also colleges can reject you just from one D in your required classes even after you have been accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can technically drop you for any reduction in GPA... that being said I got into Poly, SCU, & UCLA with my wonderful 3.0 (weighted, no less) GPA and getting a D first semester english, D second semester sociology. Then again, my SAT score was around 1500 and I credit that as the single reason I got into those schools. College admissions are a joke.