Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   hand against stoxtrader (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=178120)

turnipmonster 01-16-2005 06:27 PM

thoughts

my open from the button pretty much means I don't have 92o. I don't think stox needs AA-QQ to reraise me here. 4 handed, it's pretty much an auto openraise on the button.

also, neither of us are very deep and I think that is a big factor, or was for me at the time.

turnipmonster 01-16-2005 06:48 PM

Re: hand against stoxtrader

[ QUOTE ]
His tell is probably genuine, but maybe not for the reasons you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only put uncertain, because I was unsure of what he was uncertain about. so I didn't assume he was weak, although he might be.

ML4L 01-16-2005 06:58 PM

Hey turnip,

If he's a limit player (albeit a good one), this is a good spot for the call-to-bluff. Chances are decent that he has KK/QQ. He will check the turn after you call that ragged flop unless he has AK/AA. And, unless there is some image consideration that we don't know about, you should be able to buy it with half-pot on the turn and river.

Hope it worked out.

Mike

Garland 01-16-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a limit player (albeit a good one), this is a good spot for the call-to-bluff. Chances are decent that he has KK/QQ. He will check the turn after you call that ragged flop unless he has AK/AA. And, unless there is some image consideration that we don't know about, you should be able to buy it with half-pot on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going for the "call on the flop to steal on the turn" move, I'm really hoping it doesn't need to go to the river!

Garland

ML4L 01-16-2005 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going for the "call on the flop to steal on the turn" move, I'm really hoping it doesn't need to go to the river!

[/ QUOTE ]

Up against a limit player, I hope he calls the turn. 'Cause he ain't callin' the river.

ML4L

PS No offense, stox; you are an excellent limit player. But, I know when I transitioned from limit to NL, I would call a big bet on the turn and fold to a bigger one on the river all the time...

Lawrence Ng 01-16-2005 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zigzactly! If you know your Stox will very likely only re-raise with a bigger pair and I would put him on a pocket pair too, you can slow play this hand like you have an Ace and trap him on the turn. If he has a pocket pair, he won't put you on one and given you just flat called his raise he might put you on AK or AQ or AJ.

Lawrence

turnipmonster 01-17-2005 12:03 AM

results

I folded, no fireworks this time. raising was pretty much out of the question, as if he calls I have to be done with the hand and I think it's better to see if he blinks on the turn. any hand he would have folded to a flop raise he will also fold to a turn pot bet, and there are no scare cards.

in retrospect, I don't think folding is as bad as I initially thought, although for 2/3 pot I think I should have made him work for it a bit more. the flop bet does seem weak in retrospect, as I think he would give me a little rope if he had really hit.

the deciding factor for me was a lot of reraising hands of his have an ace, but I still think I should have considered the situation and his likely holding a little more carefully. ni han stox [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. would you have fired barrel two on the turn? I would have probably folded to a reasonable bet, and might have raised a 1/2 pot or less bet if I had called the flop. anything less than 1/2 pot on the turn I see as a blocking bet.

--turnipmonster

stoxtrader 01-17-2005 12:10 AM

Re: results

that was the last money going into the hand from me, unless I saw a ten on the turn. No way do i have the nuts to fire again. The hardest decision for me was how much to bet.

I had TT.

lapoker17 01-17-2005 12:45 AM

Re: results

That preflop reraise was a limit players 3 bet, huh.

Interesting.

scrub 01-18-2005 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
stoxtrader is a very good player for those that don't know. anyways:

5-5 NL, 4 handed or so. I (750) open for 15 with hooks on the button SB folds and stox (600) makes it 45 straight in the BB, I call. flop is A 9 rag. stox deliberates for a long time and bets 60 into a $95 pot. my only read is he is very uncertain. your move?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably have call/bluffed, but I really like call/bluffing posters.

scrub