Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Icky TT (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=165078)

sfer 12-22-2004 04:55 PM

Re: Icky TT

From my limited experience at 15 I think you played it fine. TT is much too much of a hand to fold on the river for a single bet on that board, in that game, even with potential overcalls behind you. I just don't see how you can either really protect your hand or let it go, so I think you probably found the best line there.

Danenania 12-22-2004 06:15 PM

Yeah I think I overreacted at first as to how bad it was. I now believe betting the turn is right but checking probably wasn't a huge mistake and could have hypothetically saved me some money. I'm finding these situations more common at higher limits as it's hard to proceed when the agressiveness of the game punishes both marginal folds and marginal bets/raises. I guess at these times calling becomes the lost art.

MarkD 12-22-2004 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But its a pair of Tens, you'd love to have an MP open raiser with something like AJ/KQ/Axs decide he doesn't want to play for a cap. But No way he can feel he's safe if he has to call 2 cold.

Not tossing in that extra 1SB preflop or 1SB post flop cost him that pot. At no point did HERO EVER figure out where he was or annouce he has a premium hand and had more then his fair share of equity.

His passivity lost him a big pot. He should have taken control somewhere in this pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This entire post is results oriented. The guy called the flop with 88 - he's going to call with your presecribed line as well, and against the range of hands the open raiser and re-raiser have your equity is not that great.

I don't think capping pre-flop is wrong, but I think not capping is better. I do think your line is too agressive as a general approach though. The only time hero can really take control of this pot is on the turn.

He played it fairly well. Tossing in that extra 1SB pre-flop certainly did not cost him the pot. Thinking it did is certainly the wrong way to analyze the hand.

MVicuna 12-23-2004 02:58 AM

Hi,

If you folded to a flop bet vs two MP/LP raises with just 1 over card, you would probably be folding to much because a lot of times the turn is going check/check and who ever bets the river first usually takes it or its high carding for the pot. That is why 88 calls the flop.

88 plays very differently vs 3 preflop raisers. You almost always a made over pair and 88 folds the flop or the turn if its bet on both streets.

Given the range of a MP open raisers and LP re-raiser I think TT has a lot of equity. Change it to an EP openraiser and MP reraiser I think TT has a lot less equity. The position of the raisers is important and should be weighed into the hand strengths.

And just a bet and call from the other players in the hand have yet to convince me TT isn't good.

I agree its an agressive line, but once they SB calls, there is no way to protect your hand from over cards post flop. As they will always be getting correct odds to draw to their 6 outs. The only thing you can do is to try convince them they are dominated and should fold even though they have the correct odds to call. Just calling preflop won't accomplish this.

Later,
MarkV.

me454555 12-23-2004 03:12 AM

I've never played 15/30 and I mostly play 3/6 so keep that in mind when evaluating my advice.

I toss this pf b/c w/a bettor and a raiser there is a good chance your even money at best. Worst case scenerio, you're against some sort of overpair or 3 overcards between the 2 aggressors, this puts you in a very bad situation.

Flop: What was your thinking on the flop? Why are you calling here? Do you believe your ahead or behind? This is where I'd try to show some sort of aggression like betting out or check raising or just tossing it b/c I'm probobly behind. I'd at least like to figure out where I am in the hand if I plan on continueing to the turn or river.

Turn: What would you do if MP2 bet? Were you just going to fold or would you call down to the river?

River: Only way I could see playing it.