Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Foxwoods Main Event Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=148891)

DesertCat 11-14-2004 02:42 PM

Re: Foxwoods Main Event Hand

Maybe I should add, that I think what Greg was saying is that the poster was priced in with many reasonable hands (certainly AKo) by the raiser's all-in, essentially getting 2-1. By waiting to the flop to push, a missed flop may not give the caller odds to call. If the caller had hit the flop, oh well, raiser has the same result as a pre-flop all-in.

ToledoTommy 11-14-2004 02:52 PM

Stop and Go seems very dangerous. I would try to contain my opponent before seeing a flop. There would be few reasons to do this kind of move but I'm sure they exist.

Tyler Durden 11-14-2004 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite reason for doing so is, essentiallly, if we both have the same hand, I am going to win when the flop misses us both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this? What if he bets out on a raggedy flop, which often happens? You're forced to fold, no?

jayheaps 11-14-2004 03:53 PM

i think the answer is move all in or call. if you move all-in you will like take the pot down immediately. by just calling you will be able to get away from your hand cheaply. personally, i like calling with AK in middle stages of tourneys especially if i know the EP raiser is not raising light.

fnurt 11-14-2004 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to make a bet/raise that constitutes 42% of your stack, you're usually better off going all-in instead. That is, your 2500 raise should have been all-in, or smaller (like say 1800). Personally, I see nothing wrong with all-in here.

Also, he made a big mistake reraising you all-in. He should've done the stop-and-go, or folded.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but the bottom line is, you played it right by forcing him to decide whether to gamble with all his chips. With 99, he rates to be a small favorite or a big dog. He chose to gamble, he got lucky that you had AK and not a pair, and he got lucky again to win the coin flip.

As for your opponent, Greg is clearly right that the stop-and-go is better than raising all-in preflop. If he calls, he has 1100 left and there is ~5000 in the pot, meaning it will never be correct for you to fold on the flop no matter how badly you miss. So if he gets you to fold on the flop any nonzero percentage of the time by employing the stop-and-go, it was a profitable play.

BiNgOsHaDo 11-14-2004 07:39 PM

WHat I mean when I say that I will win if we both have AK, is that in position, and given the fact that we have the same hand, I am simply going to take this pot away from him more often than he is going to win it. Simply, If we both have AK, and flop a pair, we are both likely goin to put eachother all in (in this situation). However, if the flop comes babies, he can do 3 things. 1) Check. If he checks, I am firing. Maybe not a pot size bet, but I am betting nonetheless. 2) He can bet. By betting, he protects his hand, but I am going to raise him. You said this guy had been laying down a lot of hands to reraises, so I am going to give him that chance. 3) Go All In. Notice how I refer to this differently than betting. By going all-in, he might just win this pot from me, unless I can correctly put him on the hand that he has, or AQ. So of the three choices he has, I stand to win this pot more often than he does.
-BiNg

aaronjacobg 11-14-2004 09:27 PM

was david williams's move w/ 55 at the final table an example of stop and go or did he have a different idea of calling off half his chips?

Jake

slickpoppa 11-14-2004 10:16 PM

Well, DW checked the flop in the dark, so he could not have been thinking of the stop and go.