Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is the best theoretical number of preflop callers to AA? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=148717)

Cerril 11-13-2004 09:26 PM

Re: What is the best theoretical number of preflop callers to AA?

I would say that 25 callers is optimal. With 0 cards to come the worst you can do is chop 52SB with the other AA, but the chances that both aces have been dealt to one player are pretty tiny.

I'm not sure what the odds are against 22 other players, but I'm sure they're still in your favor for a huge +EV

Snoogins47 11-14-2004 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Abdul Jalib says that having everyone fold to your preflop AA raise is a "statistical disaster." This implies that you want some callers, but do you really want everyone to call? Doesn't that mean that there are probably too many drawing hands out there? If thats the case, then in a ten person "typical" game there should be a theoretical ideal number of callers, correct? If not, why? If so, how many?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a post in the um.. recent past, maybe... where somebody ran numbers for something like a 20 handed HE game.

AA was still tops on EV. The suited broadway cards went way up in value here, but if I recall correctly, AA and KK were still tops.

So, the number of callers you want is merely dictated by bankroll and your risk profile. If you've got a proper roll, then the answer is: as many as you think you can get that are easy to play after the flop against.

Drunk Bob 11-14-2004 04:05 AM

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-14-2004 09:28 AM

Screw callers, I want those 9 in there with it capped!!!

Louie Landale 11-14-2004 11:35 AM

The best situation is when everyone calls. Yes, you can contrive an example where AA is the underdog against the field, but in general they'll have each other's cards.

Think about it. If everyone is in with "reasonable" hands, some hand MUST be THEY favorite. Which hand is it? JTs? 94s? 33? No, its AA.

- Louie

zeero3 11-14-2004 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you could lose money playing low liimts and raise AA at every street and never fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

SOOOOO WRONG!!!! What's the difference between losing a lot of money in high limits to that in low limits.... Losing half my stack in 3/6 because I overplayed AA is not something I like to do.

spamuell 11-14-2004 10:47 PM

I doubt you could lose money playing low liimts and raise AA at every street and never fold.

If you mean lose money with AA, I don't know for sure, but you're probably wrong.

If you mean lose money overall, I think you're very wrong.

JoshuaD 11-15-2004 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you mean lose money with AA, I don't know for sure, but you're probably wrong.

If you mean lose money overall, I think you're very wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant AA every hand, and you always raised/reraised with it. At least thats how I read it.

senjitsu 11-15-2004 05:20 AM

I think a lot of the posts here are missing the real point of the question. Certainly AA always has the most pot equity, and therefore wants the biggest possible pot preflop. But when you're trying to figure out the optimal number of callers, a better chance at taking down a smaller pot.

For example, lets say, for the sake of argument, AA is 30 percent to win against 9 random hands and 60 percent to win against 4 random hands. Assume you can count on no limpers folding to your raise.

With 9 callers, you will have ten big bets in the pot on the flop. Assuming the players play somewhat reasonably, players who miss the flop entirely (no pair and no draw) are going to fold to a bet on the flop. So say you get 5 calls on the flop (13BBs), three on the turn and 2 on the river (18BBs), which you will expect to win about 30 percent of the time (6BB)

On the other hand, say you have 4 callers to a preflop raise. You will start with 5 BBs. Assume 3 flop callers (7BBs), 2 turn callers (10BBs) and 1 river caller (12BBs). If you win this 60 percent of the time, then you actually have a higher EV with fewer callers.

jc

Louie Landale 11-15-2004 08:33 PM

Its easy to make up reasonable assumuptions that support the position, one way or the other.

Anyway, I strongly suspect that the "optimal" number of callers would be very influenced by Hero's ability to handle the callers: if hero can "outplay" 3 callers with clever check-raises, slow-plays, or free cards but cannot "outplay" 6, such as routinely checking when a "scare" card comes, then the optimal number is probably lower for hero than for some other folks.

- Louie