Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Moral Dillema on PartyPoker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=145932)

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-07-2004 02:58 PM

Re: Moral Dillema on PartyPoker

I, for one, never believe anything someone says at the poker table. Now I wouldn't have taken this guy to a HU table, but that's because I believe it's more beneficial to my long-term win rate to let someone lose gradually.

What does surprise me is how many folks here are taking the tilter's story as the truth.

tripdad 11-07-2004 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I, for one, never believe anything someone says at the poker table. Now I wouldn't have taken this guy to a HU table, but that's because I believe it's more beneficial to my long-term win rate to let someone lose gradually.

What does surprise me is how many folks here are taking the tilter's story as the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

the poster said he believd the story to be true. all responses, therefore, should consider it to be fact for the purposes of discussion.

cheers!

liquidboss 11-07-2004 05:26 PM

Assuming this story is true, which is a longshot, I would say take the money and run. Poker, and especially online poker, is about taking advantage of weak players and people making mistakes. This is no different... Just because he has had a tragedy in is life doesn't mean you shouldn't play with him. If your morals are so high that you can't take money from someone who is playing poorly then you should choose another game.

twang 11-07-2004 05:29 PM

Assuming the story was true: He let you understand that he was in a terrible crisis and had no business in a poker room. Knowing that, you took him aside and raped him. Where´s the dilemma part of the story?

/twang

busguy 11-07-2004 05:49 PM

Don't you think there is a HUGE difference between not getting up from a full table (ie. keep playing) and OFFERING to play the guy H/U to take advantage of his "possible" mental situation.

I for one think there is a MASSIVE difference. I probably wouldn't get up from a full table and stop playing but I would NEVER pray (whether or not the thought crossed my mind) on someone like that.

my 2 cents.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] busguy

mmcd 11-07-2004 06:21 PM

There's no "dilema" or anything here. The guy is playing bad, and your job is take as much of his money as you possibly can. Just business, nothing personal. It doesn't matter what his background story is or whether it's true or not. All that matters is that you got the job done.

I'm surprised so many of the poker players here are so soft regarding things like this. What ever happened to that old addage, "I'd bust my grandmother if she played a pot with me".

If presented with the opportunity to take a tilters money, I suggest you take it, because I assure you, if you ever get screwed up in the head and start going off for lots of money, there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't think twice about taking it from you.

Mayhap 11-07-2004 06:29 PM

Yes! This is a critical point.
/M

Glenn 11-07-2004 06:42 PM

" Now I wouldn't have taken this guy to a HU table, but that's because I believe it's more beneficial to my long-term win rate to let someone lose gradually."

This is a serious error in judgment. While it is true that is better for the poker community in general if people lose slowly and come back for more rather than have a single traumatic experience, you are passing up too much in this spot. Party Poker has over 50,000 players at a time. The chance that you will ever see this player again is small. You have a chance right now to guarantee yourself $1700 (or whatever it is). This is something like 50 hours of expectation. There is no way I can fathom that passing on playing this player will net you more than that. In fact, it will not even come close. Maybe in a cardroom with 3 tables, where he could come back every week and lose to you, but will avoid you if you beat him too badly, this is the best strategy. On Party Poker, there is only one EV choice, and that is play until your eyes bleed.

A_C_Slater 11-07-2004 06:54 PM

Pity not the fallen. Ye, I am not for them, I never knew them. Strike low and hard and to hell with them. Conquer.

D.H. 11-07-2004 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I suggest you take it, because I assure you, if you ever get screwed up in the head and start going off for lots of money, there are plenty of people out there that wouldn't think twice about taking it from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the logic...

Just because there are lots of people out there who would steal your car if don't lock it doesn't mean that you should run around stealing cars.