Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Simple Common Tournament Situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=139174)

bigfishead 10-22-2004 02:44 PM

Re: Simple Common Tournament Situation

because the 450-550 bet looks strong enough like you are
committed to have better hands but not GREAT hands fold in this spot. Thats is of major importance. Shoving all-in, too often LOOKS like desparation hence someone with AJo may come over the top to isolate you leaving you totally dominated. Yet the player description defines that they are not live ones, so the 1/2 stack raise looks like more of a hand.

As a side note. If I have AA QQ KK in this spot I shove all-in for exactly the same reasons as above.

AngryCola 10-22-2004 02:51 PM

I would fold in this spot. It isn't all that debatable. I think you can afford to wait (not long) for a better spot.

You still hold just enough chips to only get called by a better hand if you move in here.

Limping in is also out as you can't afford to bleed any chips off here. If the pot gets raised after you have limped you just end up between a rock and a hard place.

I'm hoping the correct answer isn't "there is not enough information provided". Short of that, folding is the only good option here, IMHO. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

**ADDITION**
David's suggestion that you are the best player at the table is very telling as to the proper course of action.

jakethebake 10-22-2004 02:52 PM

So what do you do when someone comes over the top of you? And someone WILL come over the top of that weak bet. You can't fold at that point anyway. What are you gonna do with the pittance you have left. You're blinded out in a few hands anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
because the 450-550 bet looks strong enough like you are
committed to have better hands but not GREAT hands fold in this spot. Thats is of major importance. Shoving all-in, too often LOOKS like desparation hence someone with AJo may come over the top to isolate you leaving you totally dominated. Yet the player description defines that they are not live ones, so the 1/2 stack raise looks like more of a hand.

As a side note. If I have AA QQ KK in this spot I shove all-in for exactly the same reasons as above.

[/ QUOTE ]

swimfan 10-22-2004 02:53 PM

Move all-in.

AngryCola 10-22-2004 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do you do when someone comes over the top of you? And someone WILL come over the top of that weak bet. You can't fold at that point anyway. What are you gonna do with the pittance you have left. You're blinded out in a few hands anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. There is a lot of hope in what bigfishhead is suggesting. What your raise "looks like" won't matter to someone holding pocket jacks or AQ anyway.

That is why coming in under the gun with a hand like QJ is rarely a good play at a full table. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

bigfishead 10-22-2004 03:07 PM

As I suggested...there is much more information to discern. Why is it that most players here always believe it is ONLY "this way" or "that way" based on your cards? Your cards have only a small % of the basis for your actions.

And to those that believe AQ is coming over the top or JJ is: I have folded these hands many times to "the best player at the table UTG raising for 1/2 his stack. Less than 15% of the time have I been wrong in doing so.

AGAIN, IT IS BASED ON IMAGE, PLAYERS, TIGHT/LOOSE-AGGRESSIVE/PASSIVE, STACK SIZES, PROCLIVITY OF BLINDS TO FOLD.

What am I really hoping to do with this hand? Just pick up the blinds for survival to better POSITIONAL bet later.

So as you see... I may muck, I may raise. "It depends".

TheGrifter 10-22-2004 03:11 PM

I'm all in every time here. You have enough chips that you're going to pick up the blinds a fair portion of the time and that's just not going to be true if you wait a few hands.

AngryCola 10-22-2004 03:11 PM

So you have no real answer then?

There is not enough information to make a decision such as you are suggesting. All us posters have to go by is the question posed by David.

And btw, just because YOU would fold JJ doesn't mean the rest of the table would. Plus, I was just using JJ and AQ as examples. The point is being under the gun automatically puts you in a bad spot. There could be all sorts of big hands in front of you that are going to be more than happy that you've raised them.

Betting half your stack here doesn't get you much at all. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

**ADDITION**
David's suggestion that you are the best player at the table is very telling as to the proper course of action.

wjmooner 10-22-2004 03:22 PM

I fold. Pushing and folding are the only options of course. I would rather push with 800 from the button or CO than push UTG for 1100 with QJ. It is highly unlikely that you have the best hand and I don't think, considering that you only have 1100, that better hands will fold here.

Chris

bigfishead 10-22-2004 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you have no real answer then? Your answer would be what I think may be correct here.

There is not enough information to make a decision such as you are suggesting. All us posters have to go by is the question posed by David.

And btw, just because YOU would fold JJ doesn't mean the rest of the table would. Plus, I was just using JJ and AQ as examples. The point is being under the gun you are in a bad spot. There could be all sorts of big hands in front of you that are going to be more than happy that you've raised them.

Betting half your stack here doesn't get you much at all. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand EVERYTHING you stated. I totally understand UTG in this spot. I totally understand better hands behind me. You mentioned "There is not enough information to make a decision as you are suggesting" If I understood you coreectly, you are suggesting "I HAVE" made a decision?

Or are you suggestion that "I have stated there is not enough info to make a decision"? Because thats what I mean. It depends on many other situational conditions. Not just math.

Yes the "not just math" comment is my suggestiong that David is basing the answer on strictly math. As I believe he does in these type posts 90% of the time. Lack of creativity and deeper thought of conditions and players is a weakness in his posts. IMO. It isnt always "JUST MATH". But I do love the math he brings to the plate also!!!