Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Best NL HE player of all time? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=138320)

jedi 10-20-2004 03:06 PM

Re: Best NL HE player of all time?

John F. Kennedy and it's not even close.

The stakes he was playing at were the highest ever.

TheGrifter 10-20-2004 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Duh, Phil Hellmuth. Just ask him.

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as I don't like to say it, he does have one helluva case for this title. 9 WSOP bracelets, all in hold'em, are very hard to argue with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody mentioned tournaments.

TheGrifter 10-20-2004 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to see who is regarded as the best ever no-limit Texas Hold 'em player.

I'll tally the responses and then I'll put up a poll with the top choices, if anyone is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably someone you've never heard of.

TheJackal 10-20-2004 03:49 PM

Based on results, it's probably Stu Ungar. But when he won, the fields were much smaller. Now it doesn't matter how much talent you have, you need to catch cards and win coinflips to win in these huge fields. I dont know how Stu Ungar would adjust if he was still alive today. I would have to say though that I think Phil Ivey is the best today and even if he never wins the WSOP, he will probably be regarded as the best in the next 5-10 years.

tripdad 10-20-2004 05:59 PM

if you are asking about tournament play, i agree that Stu Unger is widely considered to be the best ever.

as far as just "best hold'em player", it is most likely someone you've never heard of, as someone else mentioned. for "name" players, it is hard to argue against Doyle Brunson. he cleans up in the biggest cash games and has for so many years.

cheers!

dogmeat 10-20-2004 07:03 PM

Neither Phil Hellmuth, nor Stu Unger have /had proven themselves to be even decent NLHE cash+high stakes players. Fantastic tournament players, yes. Cash games, no.

FWIW my vote would be with Johhny Moss - then Doyle.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Asufiji2004 10-20-2004 07:26 PM

Tourney----Helmuth

Cash----Chan

Most big cash games are limit anyway. Still the 2 best IMO

Stormwolf 10-20-2004 08:21 PM

Doyle said on RGP that the best by far on tournaments was Ungar

patrick dicaprio 10-20-2004 08:45 PM

Re: I\'m Surprised no one mentioned.....

TJ Cloutier. what did he shoot someone's dog? as far as cash games go how do you go against brunson??

Pat

jomatty 10-20-2004 09:18 PM

Re: I\'m Surprised no one mentioned.....

i your gonna talk all around players, tournaments and cash games, i would have to think johnny chan or doyle brunson. Almost everyone else mentioned are tournament players. while helmuth can make a case (kinda)for tourny NL he would certainly be welcome at many cash games(the same could be said for ungar) Phil Iveys proven he can play high limit cash games but i think they rarely play NLHE. Johnny Moss obviously was great, but i think chan and brunson get my vote. No I take it back Prahlad friedman sp? (spirit rock) at least he playing the most and probably winning the most now.
matty