Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Would You Hire This Man To Run Your Company -- Let Alone The Country? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=113917)

elwoodblues 08-18-2004 10:40 AM

Re: A job interview with Chris Alger

[ QUOTE ]
"whose".

[/ QUOTE ]
Or putting a period outside of the quotation marks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The once and future king 08-18-2004 10:54 AM

Re: Corporate CEO Excellence == Excellence at Running Executive Branch?

Hmm

But surely a someone who would make a totaly crap CEO (due to lack of skill highlighted bu original poster) is more likely to make a crap POTUS.

Bush= a crap CEO though I wouldnt like to comment on his Presidency.

nicky g 08-18-2004 11:03 AM

aw yoosing an smily fase fur an ful stopp;

The once and future king 08-18-2004 11:03 AM

I dont mind people with bad grammer as if I did I would be a hypocrite.

I take special exception when they have thier finger on the button. In this case I like to be reasurred by as many signifiers of inteligence and education as possible.

As you therefore can imagine watching Bush speak reduces me to a fear wracked angst ridden mess.

eLROY 08-18-2004 11:16 AM

Re: Would You Hire This Man To Run Your Company -- Let Alone The Country?

Yes, I vote Johnny Cochran for President!

nothumb 08-18-2004 11:19 AM

Re: Would You Hire This Man To Run Your Company -- Let Alone The Country?

I don't mind the remark about renaming the War on Terror. It was kind of funny and more or less accurate if you buy into their whole ideology.

I recall Dana Milbank getting totally cut off from the President and his itinerary for a while because of something critical he wrote... they'll probably shut him down again.

For the record I do think Bush's inability to use the English language is important, and I mentioned something about it in a post about seeing both he and Clinton on TV doing interviews. Of course, nobody responded, as they usually don't when I make a serious post without any inflammatory rhetoric or far-left arguments.

Basically, I think his particular failures indicate that he doesn't have a grasp on complex policy issues or basic definitions of everyday events. I think admitting that he gets the news from his inner circle rather than reading it himself further demonstrates how susceptible to manipulation he is.

NT

Victor 08-18-2004 11:57 AM

One of Bush\'s worst gaffes

Don't forget as owner of the Rangers he approved trading Sammy Sosa.

Gamblor 08-18-2004 12:30 PM

Actually

...in that context it is acceptable to put the period outside the quotation marks when not implying speech, but rather quoting another.
A Grammar Lesson

In Canada/UK quotation punctuation follows logical reasoning, whereas in the USA, punctuation is always is inside the quotations.

elwoodblues 08-18-2004 12:49 PM

Re: Actually

[ QUOTE ]
in the USA, punctuation is always is inside the quotations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is just another reason why we're better.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Gamblor 08-18-2004 01:09 PM

Re: Actually

[ QUOTE ]
in the USA, punctuation is always is inside the quotations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is just another reason why we're better.

Because you can't distinguish between different types of quotations, so you make a general rule? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]