Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Do you verbalize your actions at the table? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=102491)

toots 07-13-2004 07:59 PM

Re: Do you verbalize your actions at the table?

The only think I verbalize is "check." Otherwise, I let my chips talk.

If I'm in a particularly annoying mood, I might say "chicken" instead of "check," but I thump the table to eliminate any ambiguity.

daryn 07-13-2004 08:36 PM

that's weird, i verbalize raises only. i think a call is self explanatory, as is tapping the table for a check.

baggins 07-14-2004 01:22 AM

I usually only verbalize raises when I want it to be crystal clear, or I think there might be a problem or confusion. otherwise, I don't usually say anything during a hand.

I think it would be fun to push all-in every time I raise in a limit game. overkill, but it would be fun to try sometime.

Stew 07-14-2004 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's weird, i verbalize raises only. i think a call is self explanatory, as is tapping the table for a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the exact same thing.

bernie 07-14-2004 02:35 AM

In tourneys where i play, you have to verbalize a raise. It's tough for me to do that as i hate to verbalize anything about my intention. I thought about just bringing a little card that says 'RAISE!' on it and holding it up when i want to raise. Not to mention my voice sucks and doesn't carry in a noisy cardroom worth a sh*t. So i have to really exaggerate my volume and clarity when doing this. Even to a dealer sitting right across from me. Pisses me off. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sometimes you can pick up audible 'tells' to let you know how strong/weak a hand a player has. Not always, but it is another possible information leak. Combined with bet speed...

This is also much more prominent with newer and casual players.

b

JSD 07-14-2004 05:12 AM

I'm less likely to do it in a limit game, but when I play NL live I always make sure I verbalize bets and raises, including the amount. I find this much easier than relying on my hand to get the number of chips correct. I never verbalize checks or calls.

RollaJ 07-14-2004 08:12 AM

I'll say:

Bet-5% of the time (it should be understood, there is no money out there yet I am putting some out =bet)

Raise-99% If you come up a chip short in AC it only counts as a call. If you say raise while putting out the initial chips though you can go back and add from your stack..... announcing raise is mandatory.

call-50% depends what mood I am in, plus if I am fumbling with chips I'll say it to let the next guy know he can act

Fold-2% of the time just for kicks

check raise-.33% Id say about every 300 hands Ill announce my planned check raise, half of those times Ill do it.... gotta keep people on their toes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lottery Larry 07-14-2004 11:01 AM

I usually do also to avoid confusion and help make it clear to the dealers.

Jeffage 07-14-2004 05:15 PM

"Raise-99% If you come up a chip short in AC it only counts as a call. If you say raise while putting out the initial chips though you can go back and add from your stack..... announcing raise is mandatory."

This is true at the Taj, but not at the Borgata. In a 20-40 at the B, if you raise the turn the raise is valid if you put 60 or more out at once (at least half of the extra amt. required to raise). If you are playing at Taj, buy a rack and a stack of green. You will never have to announce raise again.

Jeff

turnipmonster 07-14-2004 06:12 PM

I always verbalize raise, and then decide how much I'm going to raise. there is nothing worse than not grabbing enough chips.

--turnipmonster