Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Movin' on up" ...Or trying to anyways (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=34376)

pufferfish 05-12-2003 05:55 PM

Re: \"Movin\' on up\" ...Or trying to anyways

If I were pufferfish I would be incredibly insulted and would be daydreaming about beating the crap out of you for having the nerve to insinuate that my comments were intended to be self-serving.

I’m not sure if ResidentParanoid’s comments were made with any knowledge of me (from my posts) or if he just saw an opportunity to pursue his agenda (whatever that is).

I’m actually kind of flattered that he wrote it in such a way as to imply I’m a good enough player to have an agenda. Thanks for the compliment RP! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Vehn 05-12-2003 06:12 PM

I think you're nuts.

Louie Landale 05-12-2003 06:31 PM

I've not played online, but I find it hard to believe that a $1/2 game is "tight and predictable". Mmmmmm. Anyway, play at a level that you can usually and accurately put players on hands; at least predict the winning hand accurately.

Hand [1]. Look at this situation from the LPs perspective. You didn't cap the flop and checked-and-called the turn. Sure doesn't look like its a big pair deserving a turn bet. It sure doesn't look like you hit anything on that small-card board. It sure looks like you picked up a flush draw to me (and, obviously, to the LP) It would be better if you check-raised the turn; THAT would look pretty believable.

Hand [2]. Yeah, looks like you overplayed a little on this one. You have to decide if its realistic for him to put that much action in with, say, AT?

Hand [2]. I'd be tempted to bet the turn just because I picked up the draw. Only check if he's almost sure to play an Ace the way he did.

- Louie

ResidentParanoid 05-12-2003 07:31 PM

Pufferfish replied to my original post on this topic in the News, views, gossip forum, so I figured he would understand my intent and could handle the scrutiny. I think my read on you puffer as being thoughtful and level-headed, was about right.

Homer - dude, cool off.

In my little crusade on the topic of "moving up", I'm not pushing the idea that people are doing this maliciously. But when you send under-prepared players to limits they can't handle, you are giving their -EV money to the +EV players there. Bottom line, giving someone -EV advice shouldn't be acceptable - especially when it's clearly -EV as in this case.

ResidentParanoid 05-12-2003 07:37 PM

I used the word "implicit" purposefully here. I think you are sincere, but your advice on moving up is wrong and has the net effect that my translation gives. If you read 4 or 5 posts from ElSapo, you can see that he's having trouble at 0.5/1. He's a floating fish at 1/2.

ResidentParanoid 05-12-2003 07:44 PM

Re: Random thoughts on moving up

Well stated Rockfish. This a thoughtful and reasonable answer to the "moving up" question. This might be the most concise statement of the problem:

For myself, I like the idea of moving up when I have the bankroll, when I am convinced I can beat the game I'm in and when I know why

But advice that makes it seem that moving up is as clear- cut as raising with AA, is just plain dangerous, at best.

Homer 05-12-2003 09:34 PM

Okay, I've cooled off now. I still think what you said was ridiculous, though. Whether intentional or not, you made the claim that pufferfish's suggestions were intended to be self-serving and not to help the poster. That's not what this board is all about. I am certain that pufferfish's comments were intended to be helpful. It isn't some scheme for him to make an extra .01 BB/hr playing 1/2 online.

-- Homer

pufferfish 05-12-2003 09:41 PM

I used the word "implicit" purposefully here. I think you are sincere, but your advice on moving up is wrong and has the net effect that my translation gives. If you read 4 or 5 posts from ElSapo, you can see that he's having trouble at 0.5/1. He's a floating fish at 1/2.

You may be right, I don’t read every post. If my advice is wrong I apologize, particularly to ElSapo. On the other hand, it is advice that I am living.

I am taking shots at limits I may not be ready for. Why, because I can afford to and I want to. I play poker for fun and for the challenge.

pf

Girchuck 05-13-2003 10:28 AM

On the other hand, if I won 300BB at 0.5-1, but I only played for a month, is it time to declare myself a winner and take a shot at 1-2, or should I put in some more time to make sure it wasn't just a hot streak?

ResidentParanoid 05-13-2003 10:42 AM

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!