Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   river raise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387121)

milesdyson 11-28-2005 08:57 PM

Re: river raise

i don't see how this is a bad raise. we beat any reasonable K, any T (edit: and he'll call the raise with them), he has a 5 or TT like never, a backdoor flush is somewhat unlikely, there are no possible straights, we stole from the cutoff so he may suspect we have a large range, and we are basically never folding the best hand if we get 3-bet.

JimmyJazz1 11-28-2005 09:17 PM

Perfect, exactly how i'd play it.

Not sure why almost everyone else prefers just a call. That seems way too passive in a game with this many donks. I raise expecting to see 10x or a King with a low kicker.

Fold to a 3bet seems good without a read.

jba 11-28-2005 09:30 PM

I like it.

that river donk is a weak hand and he'll call with a lot of worse K/7/T hands

wowacedude 11-28-2005 09:41 PM

i like it joker. i think most of the unknowns would go for a c/r with 2pair or better.
imo, these donkbets often is some random crap and this guys will call this raise with lots.

nh

Spicymoose 11-28-2005 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Call the river."

i would appreciate more than this. not so much for my sake, but i really don't want to see this forum goto crap.

anyway, don't you think a big hand like a flush, straight, or trips check raises the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. Some guys check raise, but plenty of guys just bet their flush when it hits because they worry it will get checked through. No straight out there... I think a weirdly played 5 could do this also. I just don't see enough hands that you are ahead of here. His play is definetly weird, but I think that weirdness tends to mean he either has you beat, or if he has a hand that you beat, probably won't call your raise, therefore giving you no value. I'm sure sometimes you get some value out of some crazy K with a worse kicker or crazy T, but I don't think this happens more then the times you lose 1 extra BB to trips or the flush. Sorry for my original post.

11-28-2005 10:24 PM

Why are you raising the river? He is representing at least trips or a flush. I call the river.

Nottom 11-28-2005 10:28 PM

I'm not sure I like the raise, but I don't agree at all with people saying he will fold worse hands to your raise.

11-28-2005 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Call the river."

i would appreciate more than this. not so much for my sake, but i really don't want to see this forum goto crap.

anyway, don't you think a big hand like a flush, straight, or trips check raises the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I would bet it. I think most of the time you are better off just betting your hand on the river like this if you have it.

Spicymoose 11-28-2005 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I like the raise, but I don't agree at all with people saying he will fold worse hands to your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

He will fold some worse hands to your raise. I just don't think the times he has a worse hand that he is calling with outweighs the time he has trips or a flush or a better king.

11-28-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not liking it against an unknown

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly don't you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

His kings up beat our kings up. Also, I don't know how common it is at this level for villains to donk trips 1-2 rounds after they hit, but that is a strong possibility too.