Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   First time ever called a donkey - Could it be true? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404601)

12-24-2005 07:19 PM

Re: First time ever called a donkey - Could it be true?

[ QUOTE ]
I would lead out on this flop.

Your play was not donkeyish in the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line, a CR makes it blatantly obvious IMO.

CardSharpCook 12-24-2005 07:20 PM

You've got to be playing a lot more poker if this is the first time you've been called a donkey. It is a daily occurance for me on my limit tables where I play a TAG game.

You are a donkey, but not for calling PF. You are a donkey for taking such a tiny pot with it. I mean, would it kill you to check the turn? You are set up for a chk/raise vs. the field. Even if UTG doesn't bet it, someone will.

betgo 12-24-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lead out on this flop.

Your play was not donkeyish in the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop the call was automatic.

I don't like the way you played the flop. I would take a chance by slow playing and flat calling. You don't want to chase people away with a checkraise. With this kind of table, I would take a chance and checkraise the turn.

Leading out might be could, but I often take down pots on a bluff betting out of the blinds with a low pair on the board, so it might be better not to bet out.

The guy with Tx was the real donk. Since OP calls it x, it probably wasn't a very high x, so he shouldn't have called thepreflop raise and should have figured you had atleast a higher kicker and folded to the checkraise.

astro 12-24-2005 10:53 PM

VNH, maybe check raise the turn, but everything else is ok

the weakers your oponents are, the more hands u wanna play, especially getting 9:1 odds

mshalen 12-24-2005 11:02 PM

After reading your responses I have to agree that the check raise move was a pretty bad play. I should have slow played and just called the flop. I am trying to change over from a weak-tight to a classic tight aggressive. Per your advise and Dr. Schoonmaker's in Psychology of Poker (an incredible book in case you haven't read it) one thing I need to change is to slow play more when I have a big hand. You are right I should have won more chips with this hand instead of going for the quick score.

I guess the conclusion is that I did play like a donkey but for reasons different than the players at the table thought. Thanks for the advise and the help towards improving.

ansky451 12-24-2005 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one thing I need to change is to slow play more when I have a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats usually not the main problem with a weak tight player.

I disagree that you should have slow played here.

mshalen 12-24-2005 11:19 PM

Since I value your opinion what, if anything, should I have done differently?

ansky451 12-24-2005 11:27 PM

I do this a lot more than a lot of people on the MTT board, but I'd lead out on a flop like this 90% of the time. People get put in a tough spot with a marginal hand on this board, and it's unlikely they are going to put you on a 3. Your line, pretty much reeks of a 3, and I'd be pretty hesitant to commit with just about anything if I was the villain. You were lucky that he played so horrible and was incapable of folding top pair.

TomHimself 12-24-2005 11:39 PM

CSC, you sure do love to slowplay alot it seems [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OP, dont worry about, half the time people at ur table dont know what they are talking about and jsut upset they lost a pot

burningyen 12-25-2005 01:26 AM

I like leading out if I'm HU with the PFR because (a) it will reek of a steal, (b) I want to build the pot and (c) most opponents will smell a rat and shut down if you take any other line. But here, with so many to act, I think check-calling will make you more money in the long run.