Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AQs flushdraw misses, bluff? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402065)

TheHip41 12-20-2005 03:59 PM

Re: AQs flushdraw misses, bluff?

[ QUOTE ]
He isn't folding this hand. Ever.

Ok, he may fold this if he was on some type of draw, but considering YOU were the one who had the only possible draw, I can't see him having any kind of hand here that he would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There is $190 in the pot. The river is the disappointing J, so you have zero. Do you give up or bluff a bet?

the "answer" in white:
Bet. The top board-card pairing on the turn or river presents a bluffing opportunity to someone who is not the preflop raiser and has shown some strength on the flop. His hand is apt to be tied in with the board-cards. Despite your opponent's preflop and flop raises, he may not have an overpair. He could easily have only A-K or an intermediate pair. Maybe he should call with either of these hands, because there was a flush-draw on the flop, but if he thinks you are a real tight player, he may fold. (Frankly, this type of bluff works better if there was a rainbow flop and you have busted out on a straight-draw.)

On the actual hand, the opponent thought for quite a while, but finally mucked his hand. Penny wise, pound foolish. This is an example of a type of bluff that will not work against certain players, so it helps to know your opponents. It also shows that having a tight image has an upside; bluffs work more often

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction, people that suck at poker will fold this heads up. Anyone who doesn't suck will call you with any pair, and AK.

Betting here, online, has 0 chance of folding a better hand. If he folds, he had something like AT, but I dont' see anyone folding anytime soon.

MrEngenic 12-20-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correction, people that suck at poker will fold this heads up

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I would find a fold against passive players with AK or AQ here.

jackdaniels 12-20-2005 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting here, online, has 0 chance of folding a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tried this a few times and encountered the above. I have tried it againt TAG's representing a WA/WB line of play after I saw them use it themselves. Online, in multiple attempts, I have yet to have any success with this line.

TheHip41 12-20-2005 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Correction, people that suck at poker will fold this heads up

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I would find a fold against passive players with AK or AQ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Passive player don't bet the river with a hand that is losing to AK/AQ

With the action on this hand, I'm calling with AK everytime. I see a J never, i see a random PP sometimes, or a busted flush draw.

Jake (The Snake) 12-20-2005 04:28 PM

Are you betting the flop like that with any hands here besides flush draws?

12-20-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you betting the flop like that with any hands here besides flush draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the c/r with virtually any hand here, especially a flush draw with two discounted overs.

MrEngenic 12-20-2005 04:40 PM

I will probably not bet this flop with anything, this is not my hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12-20-2005 04:44 PM

I think this play is successful for those times when villian is solid and Hero is perceived to be a passive idiot.

We have no indication that opponent will fold this river, as she has bet/raised at every opportunity. I think the only successful bluff on the river here has to be a c/r bluff, which probably still doesn't work incredibly often.

GHL 12-20-2005 04:49 PM

I prefer 3 betting PF and leading the flop.

12-20-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer 3 betting PF and leading the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a solid player, I don't love 3-betting preflop with this hand and end up OOP postflop.