Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   PHIL HELMUTHs PLAY POKER LIKE A PRO (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=272655)

trevorwc 06-14-2005 01:28 PM

Re: PHIL HELMUTHs PLAY POKER LIKE A PRO

I only made it through about 50 pages of Hellmuth's book (borrowed it from a friend) when I realized I was getting absolutely nothing out of it. I stopped as soon as I read something along the lines of "AA - You have the best hand in hold 'em!!" - REALLY?!?!?!??

Went out and bought Harrington, and can barely put it down. Now there's a book that will help my game!

dmoney 06-14-2005 01:31 PM

well if all you do is read the BEGINNER section and assume thats all their is to a book then id say your probably missing alot of things in alot of books that could help your game.

Just becuase the first 5 pages of a good say ok these are the hand rankings means nothing.

i DO understand that the book is far from advanced, but that doesnt mean that all what he says is useless.

stankphish 06-14-2005 06:18 PM

Did you come here for advice or reassurance in your belief that Hellmuth's book is good. I suggest reading the forums for a while here before you start posting. If you came for advice then there is alot of solid stuff in this thread. If you came for the latter you should check out neverwins forum.

BottlesOf 06-14-2005 06:23 PM

You need to burn Hellmuth's books and get SSH by Ed Miller. Or you can wallow in mediocre advice, it doesn't matter to me much which you choose, but I don't feel like the burden is on 2+2 to prove to you why SSH is so much better. Either buy it or don't. GL.

Jeebus 06-14-2005 06:49 PM

I read PPLAP second after SS1 and found myself laughing at some of the concepts. Get another book. Read it, then try something else, then reread the first book to see what new ideas you can get out of it.
Then go post this in the books section

Alobar 06-14-2005 06:58 PM

helmtuths book is the worst poker book I've ever read, and I suspect one of the worst poker books written.

I'm suprised you can play winning poker after reading that book.

Burn it, then go over to the books forum and find out what the good books are.

aLOWdAkING 06-14-2005 07:02 PM

Ugh, you picked the wrong book to read 50 times cover to cover.

But really, SSH is much better. You'll like it, I promise man.

Beavis68 06-14-2005 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. I read this as my first poker book, id say in general is a good book, nothing in there strikes me as being wrong. Ive read it probabbly 50 times cover to cover and know / can apply most of it well. The only thing is, It seems to me that even the advanced stuff in the book is more intermediate. The advanced holdem theory seems to be lacking a little.

I havnt read any Skalansky and malmuth yet, (I plan on getting some of them as my future books) Although im not a HUGE #s person so i dont know ho much it will help me, im no Math Major. Im more of a people reader kinda person. and a Bet reader.

How would you rate the Phil Helmuth Books out of 10? and be HONEST and TRY not to be bias becuase u all love this site and S & M.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is quite a bit in the book that is wrong (like calling a 3-bet in the SB with JTo), but usually gives you the right play too.

Mason gave the non-limit holdem sections a 6, which I think is a little low, probably a 7.5.

It is a great beginners book, especially the stud and omaha chapters. He really explains low hands well in the 8b sections.

poker-penguin 06-14-2005 09:35 PM

I hope that you are a troll / gimmick account.

Either way, please stop posting, close this account, and come back with a new user name and better posts.

fireman664 06-14-2005 10:09 PM

not a HELMUTH basher

but his book (for limit) is not good. I actually think Phil is one of the best players out there, even though he is not liked alot. The one thing i did use his book for is cutting out a bunch of pages to hide my home bankroll in. I figured any player in the "know" wont bother to ever open that book.

the 2+2 books are great, and yes they can be deep and subtle, but if you put forth the effort with them that you did with Phils book...you'll love em.