Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Stock Market (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   POKER VS STOCKS (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376842)

Sniper 11-16-2005 07:56 PM

Re: POKER VS STOCKS

Trading can also be a form of self employment!!!

MrBig30 11-17-2005 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Market it easier to beat.
4. ~50k ....profit avg 3-4k a wk

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir are going to be disappointed if you believe you can keep that up.

Warren Whitmore 11-17-2005 07:38 AM

I never thought of it that way but you are right.

Sniper 11-17-2005 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Making 1K/day on 200K (50Kx4) of daily margin buying power, is not "unreasonable", if you know what you are doing!!!

DesertCat 11-17-2005 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Making 1K/day on 200K (50Kx4) of daily margin buying power, is not "unreasonable", if you know what you are doing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a 100% annualized return on your trades (400% on your equity). Out of curiousity, would you be willing to share how it's done? I.e. a specific trade you've done, the rationale behind your decision to make the trade, and the results you achieved?

MrBig30 11-17-2005 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not unreasonable to do so for a week month or maybe even several years IF YOU ARE LUCKY. Just compare it to running good at poker. The long run is very long. And in the long run only the very lucky or those with insider information beat index by much IMO.

Sniper 11-17-2005 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And in the long run only the very lucky or those with insider information beat index by much IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I suggest you take a look at the performance records on marketocracy, for a simple example of many with the demonstrated skill to beat the "baseline" market averages (like the Dow or S&P).

Just like in poker, if you are willing to put in the time to learn "how to do it"... it is "easy".

DesertCat 11-17-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I suggest you take a look at the performance records on marketocracy, for a simple example of many with the demonstrated skill to beat the "baseline" market averages (like the Dow or S&P).

Just like in poker, if you are willing to put in the time to learn "how to do it"... it is "easy".

[/ QUOTE ]

The highest four year annulized return on marketocracy is 42% (ist.martin ORR 411.65%), far short of 100% or even 400% per year. And out of thousands of portfolios, it's reasonable to assume that statistical variation would produce one lucky enough to do 42% per year.

Just like poker, being lucky for a time doesn't make you good. Reviewing someone's hand histories is probably a much more accurate way of determining luck vs. good, than short term results.

So if 100% a year is easy, can you tell us how to do it?

solucky 11-17-2005 01:18 PM

i play not high limits for me

1. Poker and Bonuswhoring is less/ even risky

2. In the moment i make more on the market if you have 200 K its hard to make more with poker

3. Poker is in average -EV ( rakes) the markets +EV /economic growth)

4. 10% is easy possible if you analyse yourself and i dont trade usually i hold a company longer than 12 month ( taxfree then here in germany)

1C5 11-17-2005 02:27 PM

don't forget the people who trade lots, then comission and slippage= the rake.