Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Who taught poker players how to dress? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=113238)

riverflush 08-16-2004 01:47 PM

Re: Who taught poker players how to dress?

This is mild for Deeb:

http://bigslicknews.com/poker1/deebtv.jpg

I love Deeb's shirts. Whether he does it on purpose or not, he really distracts people with those shirts. He gets them talking about his shirt - I think it's worth at least 1 Tilt for him in a tournament.

Easy E 08-16-2004 03:41 PM

A few more

#7- "My House was on Fire and I had to dress Fast" look- Humberto and Luskes are the standard bearers

#8- "Cheesy Gambling Gear" look- Susie Issacs, among others. Mainly an older slots-crowd thing, wearing hats/shirts/vests/purses/whatever covered with gambling decorations.

BarronVangorToth 08-16-2004 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gus Hansen needs to give them a lesson in how to dress.

[/ QUOTE ]

and what would his lesson be? showing them to the nearest GAP to buy a t-shirt a size too small? the guy wears tight t-shirts on every show... whoopee

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't done a comprehensive study or anything, but suffice it to say that a vast majority of poker players are NOT their ideal weight. Then you have a guy like Gus Hansen who's physically fit and obviously works out and people give him grief because he doesn't wear a shirt four sizes too big...? You also have to remember, he's from Europe, and that's an entirely different culture over there, especially with the young guys and their clubbing-gear.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
"Owns Not One Shirt That's Less Than 3 Sizes Too Big"

Jaraim 08-16-2004 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker players don't all dress the same, but their styles all seem to fall into one of six categories:

1. Ridiculously colorful shirt - this seems to be most popular among Asian players, but the best example of this had got to be Freddy Deeb.

2. Golf shirt/baseball hat with sponsors insignia. There are many of these, and even more now that the Full Tilt guys are out there. But my favorite has got to be Dan Harrington with that lime green and gold 888.com stuff. Does anybody actually play at that site?

3. Cowboy wear. This harkens back to the old days, when half the players were from Texas (and the other half were from Oklahoma). Now the style is preserved by Jesus Ferguson and Hoyt Corkins, although Corkins pulls it off much better.

4. The ill-fitting JCPenney sale-rack shirt. Again, lots of examples of this one, but my favorite is Howard Lederer. He always looks like he slept in whatever he wears on TV, although he dresses better as a broadcaster than he does as a player.

5. T Shirt and jeans. This is the favorite for people who want to show that they don't care that they're on TV. Gus is the example this, although he could use a few mediums in his wardrobe instead of smalls. Others in this group are Ted Forrest, Annie Duke, and now, Ben Affleck.

6. The Replica Jersey. Not too many of these. Only Phil Ivey and Dan Negreanu come to mind. But poker rooms all over the country are full of them, especially on Sundays during football season.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also the rare but pleasant "Very Well Dressed" crowd. Guys like Sam Farha (he's the only one that comes to mind.. sorry.) who actually give a flying crap about what they wear to the table really impress me.

Dominic 08-16-2004 05:29 PM

yeah, Gus's too-small t-shirts that scream, "I'm OUT of the closet, by God, and I'm not going back in" is definitely better.

I'll take Johnny's shirt any day of the week.

cardcounter0 08-16-2004 06:01 PM

Guys like Sam Farha ...
Yes, that is because he has some class.

You can add DevilFish Elliot to that list. He looks the part of old time well dressed 'pro-gambler'.

cferejohn 08-16-2004 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can add DevilFish Elliot to that list. He looks the part of old time well dressed 'pro-gambler'.

[/ QUOTE ]

The giant "Devil" and "Fish" rings that cover his entire hands are a little over the top.

Then again, I wear brightly colored bowling shirts or occasionally a work shirt (like a mechanic might wear) that has patches that say "Employee of the Month" and "Loser", so maybe I don't get to comment on clothes...