Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Probably Boring Blind Defense Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344074)

private joker 09-25-2005 04:54 PM

Re: Probably Boring Blind Defense Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Damn I made a good laydown. I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan 09-25-2005 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damn I made a good laydown. I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, limit holdem is all about finding big laydowns. Get real.

Nick Royale 09-25-2005 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is once you call the turn you probably should pay off on the river if it also blanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't a problem, if we can make 2 +EV calls in a row it's good thing. But the first call isn't +EV so it depends on whether or not the 2nd one is.

I agree some players goes crazy hu and might 3-bet the flop with A-high (or even worse). It seems like calling down is close.
EDIT: after making some calcs it seems like calling down is easy...

Nick Royale 09-25-2005 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand. You saved 2BBs. I think you're folding the winner here at best 15% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
According to my calcs we only need to have the best hand about 13-14% of the time to justify a calldown.

Pog0 09-25-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to my calcs we only need to have the best hand about 13-14% of the time to justify a calldown.

[/ QUOTE ]

The simplified version is that you have to call twice and invest 2 BB to try to win 7, so you need to be good 2/(2+7) or 22% of the time.

Nick Royale 09-25-2005 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The simplified version is that you have to call twice and invest 2 BB to try to win 7, so you need to be good 2/(2+7) or 22% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not taking the chance of hero improving into consideration.

The complicated (and correct) way of calculating:

We improve 11% (5/46=0.11) of the time.

x - 0.11x = 11% (we need to be ahead an additional 11% to reach 22%)
0.89x = 11% -> x = 12%
EDIT: x = the probablity of being ahead

Then I added some since sometimes he will check the river with A-high (this also makes calling the turn and folding the river an option), but if we're ahead 15% of the time we should call down. We're also getting some impleied odds, but maybe they almost cancel with the risk of being up agaist AA/TT/AT (they don't entirely do).

private joker 09-25-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea, limit holdem is all about finding big laydowns. Get real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a dictionary, dude. Good =/= big. This isn't some awesome big lay down. He's not folding a set or something. He's folding a pair of 7s after fielding a lot of aggression. Jesus.

Calling station.

Evan 09-25-2005 07:10 PM

It's a heads up pot between blinds. I don't understand what you're not understanding.

sweetjazz 09-25-2005 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have to take into consideration the possibility that villain is behind and improves his hand to a winner.

Nick Royale 09-25-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have to take into consideration the possibility that villain is behind and improves his hand to a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're correct, that was actually another reason I increased the precentage we needed to be ahead, but I forgot about it when I wrote the post. Besides it's much better to include it in the calcs, thanks.

0.87x - 0.11x = 11%
0.76x = 11% -> x = 14%

This is assuming he'll have 6 outs on average and that hero and villain don't improve at the same time. I think 5 outs is a decent estimation since PP's, overs, gutshots, flushdraws and oesd are all possible.