Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   I Used The Whole Time Clock On This River (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386538)

sthief09 11-28-2005 01:49 AM

Re: I Used The Whole Time Clock On This River

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This may have been the toughest river decision I've ever faced. See what you do:

SB is 31/10/1.4 after more than 1000 hands
Button is 75/5/0.8 after ~100 hands

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero????

[/ QUOTE ]

these players are NOT passive. this is an EASY call given the turn check. not calling here is criminal.

that is to say. bet the freakin turn.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

the turn check makes it harder to fold. the button checked last to act, now he raises? the sb apparently whiffs on a checkraise and now check-3bets. plus hes not getting great odds, and there is a parlay effect which is huge

sthief09 11-28-2005 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think not betting the turn is a pretty significant mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

i can understand the logic behind it. the pot is tiny, the sb has pretty much thrown up a white flag, and the button probably doesnt have anything either. theres not much to call with on that board, so hell risk a free card in exchange for someone taking a stab for him

the main reason id bet there (and raise the flop too) is because i take shots at lots of pots and id like to show down that i play trips the same. there are some players who always check in unraised pots with a big hand and often take stabs with nothing. its not hard for even a novice hand reader to see this

Surfbullet 11-28-2005 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. I forgot that in my original reply. I play these types of hands fast unless I expect my opponents to fold overcards too easily, in which case I play everything fast.

Surf

11-28-2005 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a call for me, though I expect to grimace now and then as a better 5 or pockets 77 shows up.

[/ QUOTE ]
A5 is the only better 5.

Lmn55d 11-28-2005 02:01 AM

you make some good points, but I think sb is calling more than you think he is. I could see his flop bet/turn check as being an OESD or flush draw and he doesn't want to get raised on the turn. I also think the poor playing button will call with a lot of hands that he wouldn't bet (include A high hands that he didn't raise preflop b/c his PFR is 5).

I also agree that this should be a fold despite hero's failure to define his hand. The combination of a loose passive raising (I don't think he raises a king too often there) and a nonmaniac sb check/3betting doesn't seem to bode well.

Subfallen 11-28-2005 02:04 AM

Call, not close? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

baronzeus 11-28-2005 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mscags 11-28-2005 02:17 AM

Well I would have bet the turn here, but see as you didn't I think you need to fold this river. I think someone has you outkicked or is full.

Spicymoose 11-28-2005 06:16 AM

I don't see what is so tough about your decision. You have to pay 2 to try to win 8 or 9. That means you you need to be good 1 in 5. Button surely doesn't have trips. SB might have you beat, but he could also have a 5 that you chop with, or some other random crap.

As others have said. Bet the turn.

Nietzsche 11-28-2005 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see what is so tough about your decision. You have to pay 2 to try to win 8 or 9. That means you you need to be good 1 in 5. Button surely doesn't have trips. SB might have you beat, but he could also have a 5 that you chop with, or some other random crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
The odds are a lot worse than that. He may have to pay 3 and even when he wins he will be splitting this small pot most of the time. I lean toward folding this one (not positive it is correct though). And yes definitely bet the turn.