Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Strat-O-Matic Games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365086)

Dominic 10-25-2005 12:22 PM

Re: Strat-O-Matic Games

man, we played strat-o-matic football and baseball like it was a religion.

Pyromaniac 10-25-2005 12:33 PM

y'all should read Robert Coover's novel "The Universal Baseball Association" sometime...it's a good read with a strat-o-matic sort of theme.

ChipWrecked 10-25-2005 01:04 PM

I played with neighborhood kids in the Chicago suburbs as a kid. When we moved to Arkansas, we were pretty isolated, so my folks mail-ordered me a set so I could play by myself. It was a big deal as the game was fairly pricey as I recall.

I still have it, just looked it over after moving to a new place last week. 1972 teams, not all I'm afraid, but the cards are still in good shape.

Lots of old sets available on Ebay.

samjjones 10-25-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played with neighborhood kids in the Chicago suburbs as a kid. When we moved to Arkansas, we were pretty isolated, so my folks mail-ordered me a set so I could play by myself. It was a big deal as the game was fairly pricey as I recall.

I still have it, just looked it over after moving to a new place last week. 1972 teams, not all I'm afraid, but the cards are still in good shape.

Lots of old sets available on Ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there is a pretty good second hand market for this stuff. You should sell it.

Edit: Just checked, and 1972 sets have recently sold for $300 on Ebay.

10-25-2005 03:42 PM

I was in a stratomatic club in H. S.

LesJ 10-25-2005 04:51 PM

Awesome thread. I played SOM in junior-high and high school. I recently started playing the computer version 3-4 yrs ago. I skipped this year, however, since my "addiction" to that other game I play on the computer frequently. I hope to be able to find time to play again when the next season comes out. The computer version is incredible, although my math skills grew beyond belief thanks to the many hours of statistic compilation I did as a boy with the regular dice and card version.
Les

10-25-2005 08:09 PM

I'm in a couple of current leagues and in a couple of old leagues - one that's in 1943 and one that's in 1978, all on the computer.

One of my greatest childhood memories is playing my father at the board game. He was one of the mid sixties Dodgers teams, I was the 1960 Pirates, and in the bottom of the ninth Don Hoak broke up a Koufax no hitter on a Hr 1-Flyball B 2-20 split - it also was a walkoff.

ChipWrecked 10-25-2005 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just checked, and 1972 sets have recently sold for $300 on Ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carumba! Now where's that digital camera.... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Iplayragstoo 10-25-2005 08:27 PM

I used to play all nighters at my buddys house on the weekends as a kid(13-16YO) playing strat...we used to have player auctions. We would start with like 5$ each, and buy a team, then play a race to 21 games and stuff for the prize money. God I loved it. I was just talked into playing this past year in the electronic verstion. I did, but particpated very little because of faulty software, and little time. I will say this though...I loved that game(and NFL strat as well)

Iplayragstoo 10-25-2005 08:29 PM

What burb, and what years? I may have played with you!