Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   It aint easy being a pimp but someone's gotta do it (LCish) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393430)

DoomSlice 12-07-2005 03:04 PM

Re: It aint easy being a pimp but someone\'s gotta do it (LCish)

Too many posts!!! If you HAVE to post this many posts at one time, don't post the LC ones!

4_2_it 12-07-2005 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never limp unsuited connectors but I do complete the SB with a variety of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this is --EV, right?

12-07-2005 03:07 PM

Why do you say that?

4_2_it 12-07-2005 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's true.

Do you have Pokertracker? Look at your VPiP from the small blind along with your sb win rate. For almost every player the blinds are money losing positions. The goal should be to minimize losses form these positions, not look for marginal situations to try to hit the jackpot.

Why put any money into the pot in the worst post-flop position unless you have a premium holding? It leads to many marginal situations so that a half-bet winds up costing you 20bb.

12-07-2005 03:23 PM

Of course players lose money from the small blind. When referring to poker tracker you look not at how much you win with a hand but how little you lose. If you are losing less than the small blind it is good to play the hand.

Why play from the small blind with less than premium hands? Implied odds.

4_2_it 12-07-2005 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course players lose money from the small blind. When referring to poker tracker you look not at how much you win with a hand but how little you lose. If you are losing less than the small blind it is good to play the hand.

Why play from the small blind with less than premium hands? Implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you will play K7o from the small blind but fold it UTG? You have always 'implied odds' to play any two against one deep stacked caller, but why would you? You are really missing the point here.

Maybe someone else can explain this better, because I think playing too many hands from the blinds is a leak most of us have. I think AJ or Beavens started a thread a couple of days ago that had a good discussion. I suck at search, but I will try to find it.

12-07-2005 03:33 PM

This is definitely worth exploring, becuase I do play alot of hands from the SB. Mind you there is a big difference between 65o (which I will play) 35s (which I will play) and K7o (which I won't).

beavens 12-07-2005 03:34 PM

my mistake is calling decent holdings from the blinds and overplaying top pair in pot that wasnt raised pf.. always forget someone could flop the 2pr, straight, etc.

going to try to learn to keep those pots small.

4_2_it 12-07-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is definitely worth exploring, because I do play alot of hands from the SB. Mind you there is a big difference between 65o (which I will play) 35s (which I will play) and K7o (which I won't).

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally will not play anything out of the blinds that I would not play UTG. In fact, if I am playing from the blinds, I am raising 50% or more of the time to get it HU where being OOP is not as big an issue.

To win with hands like 35s and 65o you need a perfect flop. You also need someone to make a second best hand to pay you off. You are not getting AK, AQ et al to give you much action on 347 flops.

The problem is how do you play a flop like 623 where you have TPNK? Check/call? Bet (do you call a raise)? What if the flop is A65 and UTG raises you all-in? Your VPiP from the sb should be close or slightly higher than your overall VPiP. Being OOP is a huge detriment without a premium holding.

12-07-2005 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is definitely worth exploring, because I do play alot of hands from the SB. Mind you there is a big difference between 65o (which I will play) 35s (which I will play) and K7o (which I won't).

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally will not play anything out of the blinds that I would not play UTG. In fact, if I am playing from the blinds, I am raising 50% or more of the time to get it HU where being OOP is not as big an issue.

To win with hands like 35s and 65o you need a perfect flop. You also need someone to make a second best hand to pay you off. You are not getting AK, AQ et al to give you much action on 347 flops.

The problem is how do you play a flop like 623 where you have TPNK? Check/call? Bet (do you call a raise)? What if the flop is A65 and UTG raises you all-in? Your VPiP from the sb should be close or slightly higher than your overall VPiP. Being OOP is a huge detriment without a premium holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a huge detriment, but preflop you have great position and its half price to play? Why would you ever fold an excellent drawing hand here, like 109s or J10s which you clearly would not limp with UTG?

That is -EV.