Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   poker for a living through college (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=179015)

Johnny5 01-18-2005 11:51 AM

Re: poker for a living through college

Well, there are a few good options on 2+2. Somehow "Home Poker" wouldn't have been my first choice. I'm just suggesting that if you actually want some good advice, make sure to post your question in a relevant location.

In your OP, you link to the "Brick & Mortar" forum. That is one option. You also discuss playing low limit holdem, so may I suggest either the "Texas Hold'em" or "Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em" forums.

I can provide links to them if you'd like...

J5

smoore 01-18-2005 03:58 PM

I wouldn't play B&M unless it was 5/10 or higher. I don't think you can beat the rake/tips lower than that. Find some juicy home games without a rake and play online instead, IMO.

warewulf 01-18-2005 04:28 PM

What are: TOP, WLLH, SSH (super system)

I recently finished Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Holdem by TJ and T. McEvoy, and Super System, both excellent. I ordered TPFAP, on its way. Just wondering what my library is missing.

Please post a link if you post in another forum.

smoore 01-18-2005 04:30 PM

Theory of Poker(Sklansky), Winning Low Limit Holdem (Jones), and Small Stakes Holdem (Miller)

PittRounder 01-19-2005 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently finished Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Holdem by TJ and T. McEvoy, and Super System, both excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, the McEvoy and Cloutier book has been rated very poorly by many posters. I haven't read it, but I would suggest, as others have, to exercise caution with this book.

warewulf 01-19-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, the McEvoy and Cloutier book has been rated very poorly by many posters. I haven't read it, but I would suggest, as others have, to exercise caution with this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any links to bad reviews? I like this book. I won 2nd and 3rd in two tourneys, one while half way through the book, the other shortly after finishing it.

Johnny5 01-19-2005 03:17 PM

Unless its from 2+2 - It won't get a very good review on this site. I wonder why? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

J5

hoyle12 01-22-2005 08:02 PM

I think its a good Idea. Doyle Brunson, Amirillo Slim and one other guy did it back in the 60s and 70s. They were not playing low limit but they made a pretty good living. Look at all of them now. More power to ya. I hope you succeed. Wish I had 2 friend just to help me with my game and talk poker theory. Just make sure your bankroll is a descent bankroll because if you are depending on 2 of you to win to pay bills it may not work.

bholdr 01-22-2005 08:48 PM

Sounds like a very lofty goal to me.

why not try it as a hobby (albeit a profitable one) first? I use poker to win beer money and pay the cable bill, and that's it- i play about 30 hrs a month playing 1/2 and up. it works pretty well, but that's online, where i can 4-table low limits and bonus whore)

how much have you actually played?

and no way you're making 30k playing live 2/4-5/10 -think 1bb/hr

and i don't wanna be seen as a spammer, so PM me if you're interested in some other online options...

grandgnu 01-23-2005 05:25 PM

Re: Bad Idea, Here\'s Why

Alright, so you and two friends decide to live together through college, share expenses and play poker to support yourselves.

The good ol' college-boy dream, eh? I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing you probably need some life experience. Here are some of mine:

1. Living With Roommates: They can be unreliable, consume more food than you do but then you're paying for food you didn't eat, not always have money to pay the electric bill on time, etc. They may be a total slob while you're a neat freak. You WILL get tired of them.

2. Trusting People: I've had friends at my home games that I grew up with. I thought we were close, but I caught them attempting to give themselves an edge, however slight (missing antes, splashing the pot with less than the actual bet, etc)

You'll realize as you age, that a lot of your "friends" are really acquantinces. When there's money involved, friendships and relationships can be tested or outright destroyed.

How could you possibly know if your two buddies are actually winning any money? They might say they lost and skip out on the bills, while socking the money aside or spending it on something else. They might under-report their winnings so they don't have to pay as much towards the living expenses as you do.

And how will you begin to feel, when you're paying 70% or more of the living expenses for these two schmoes, doing all the work, bringing in all the money? You'll feel like you're carrying their weight, that they are a burden that is holding you back. Any winnings you realize will be chewed up by their expenses.

Good luck to ya man.