Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Singer Songwriter indifferent genres (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374038)

11-08-2005 03:50 AM

Re: Best Singer Songwriter indifferent genres

Eddie Vedder

Pearl Jam rocks

11-08-2005 04:53 AM

I would say Slayer for their genre. Hanneman,King and Araya

jokerthief 11-08-2005 04:56 AM

The 60's and 70's is a tie between John Lennon and Bob Dylan. The 80's is Axel Rose. The 90's to today is Dave Matthews.

Boris 11-08-2005 04:58 AM

For metal rock I'm gonna nominate Dave Mustaine.

11-08-2005 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Over Hetfield? Im gonna have to call foul on that... talk about timeless lyrics.

Voicewise too.

Although I agree that Mustaine was amazing as well.

...Dave friggin Matthews? If his voice didnt sound like he got kicked in the junk maybe... but ever since I left yuppiesvill high wherein every damn preppy chick loved him, I cant stand it.

Perhaps I am misinformed though... any songs that are a little harder or less lilting and wussy?

I'd like to like him.

MyTurn2Raise 11-08-2005 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
listen to Ani DiFranco, she is the greatest folk singer I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

I also dig Ryan Adams

astroglide 11-08-2005 12:54 PM

incase this factored into your award, afaik MJK doesn't write for a perfect circle - he's just a vocalist

turnipmonster 11-08-2005 12:58 PM

joni mitchell - is there a better record than blue?

SL__72 11-08-2005 01:00 PM

I don't think he qualifies at all... I don't think he "writes" any of the music for Tool either, other then maybe the lyrics. From the few interviews I've read/heard its more of a collaborative process with them.

Ryan Adams is a great nomination.

I would also nominate Jim James from My Morning Jacket, easily one of my favorites.
Willie Nelson?
Waylon Jennings?
I'm not too sure what % of their music each wrote, but even if it was only 50% I would consider both of them along with the already mentioned Johnny Cash.

imported_The Vibesman 11-08-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Over Hetfield? Im gonna have to call foul on that... talk about timeless lyrics.

Voicewise too.

Although I agree that Mustaine was amazing as well.

...Dave friggin Matthews? If his voice didnt sound like he got kicked in the junk maybe... but ever since I left yuppiesvill high wherein every damn preppy chick loved him, I cant stand it.

Perhaps I am misinformed though... any songs that are a little harder or less lilting and wussy?

I'd like to like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll actually second the nomination of Mustaine over Hetfield. My favorite Metallica songs are on Kill Em All and they are co-written by Dave Mustaine. I like his voice better too. Matter of taste though. The Metallica vs. Megadeath debate was huge when I was young.

I agree with you assessment of Matthews, though. I can't figure out what people like about him.