Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I hate online poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=328719)

Bradyams 09-03-2005 01:53 AM

Re: I hate online poker

[ QUOTE ]
Example: late tournament, battle of the blinds, me BB 98 Sb 64 flop 982, me go all-in, 64 call?!?!, turn 6, river 6. Who the hell calls there with that hand????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny how I always hear stories about hands like this, but I've never once seen a hand history to go along with it.

09-03-2005 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No friggin way is that legitimate gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, you have that backwards: it's definitely legitimate GAMBLING. For most internet players, each call is the same as pulling the handle on a slot machine. They don't know or really care about percentages or any of that voodoo. They want to take a CHANCE and hopefully get LUCKY. Folding bad cards is BORING. They saw a Party Poker ad on TV and now they want some EXCITEMENT, dammit!

Anytime you have random people playing random cards, anything can (and does) happen. And it happens more often, because internet play is so fast. The worst part may be that you can't put a nutbar on any particular hand, because he could be playing with anything, for any reason (clicked the wrong button, cards match his kid's birthday, wife says either double up on this hand or come to bed).

BUT...in the long run, if you are a good player and can recognize who's ultra-loose and who's not, and adapt your play accordingly, you will win and the loosies will lose. You'll have to have a tolerance for variance, though.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Sometimes it bugs me too. But every day I open up PokerTracker, which tells me I'm still ahead of the game, and I do my little happy dance.

Deathbear 09-03-2005 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Example: late tournament, battle of the blinds, me BB 98 Sb 64 flop 982, me go all-in, 64 call?!?!, turn 6, river 6. Who the hell calls there with that hand????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny how I always hear stories about hands like this, but I've never once seen a hand history to go along with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Runner runner 6s will be the death of me.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (17.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (20.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (38.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 46.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has 6c 6s (four of a kind, sixes).
Hero has 9c Qc (straight, queen high).
CO has Qh Js (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Button has Ac As (two pair, aces and sixes).
Outcome: MP2 wins 46.70 BB. </font>

MicroBob 09-03-2005 04:35 AM

How does one confuse Paul Phillips with Phil Gordon?
(I mean...I guess they both kinda/sorta have that metro-sexual thing going on in different ways...but still!!)

If online-poker (or anything else for that matter) made me that upset I simply wouldn't parttake in it. Not sure why anyone would stick with something if they hate it that much.

arod4276 09-03-2005 04:52 AM

Money..same reason most people have jobs they dont like i presume

cardcounter0 09-03-2005 05:13 AM

It's time to get out of the kiddie pool, and make some moves!

PrincipalSkinner 09-03-2005 05:26 AM

I would have to say that on a "fun" scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being best, poker is about a 2 for me. However the alternative ( a JOB) is worse. Gotta take the bad with the good.

If it's rigged, it's rigged. If I'm being cheated somehow, then I'm being cheated. I don't have any way of knowing for sure; and I don't really care as long as I can show a profit.

Also it's a good practice ground for developing patience and tolerance. While a person might say "who needs 'em", unfortunately life has a way of dealing you a lot of bad beats at the same time (not just in cards) and a person who has not developed the mental muscle to withstand the downswings is in a whole world of hurt. Look at New Orleans, for example.

solucky 09-03-2005 05:36 AM

I am also relative sure that a few games are created, but with low limit play , rakeback, bonus Partypoker still pay my sportrscar, my petrol and my summer vacation. Never forget other people get the money not party, party make only more rakes ( for the case that they really create the games)

LargeCents 09-03-2005 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You registered two and a half years ago and started posting like two minutes ago?

I thought I was a lurker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got nothing on ME, man. I was lurking back when 2+2 was still on the OLD format. I barely made a post until maybe six months ago. I am the lurking champion! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

FlFishOn 09-03-2005 10:31 AM

Tell me you didn\'t play at Party...

...and I'll be very surprised.