Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   99 in sb, flop an overpair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=256972)

Jonathan 05-22-2005 10:17 AM

Re: 99 in sb, flop an overpair

I don't like the check raise on the flop...I think betting
staight out is better.

Turn bet is good.

Bet the river.

Suerte,
Jonathan

WillMagic 05-22-2005 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, why lead the flop. i get 3 calls and i have no information about my hand, or i get raised by the pfr and i dont know whether he's just continuation betting, trying to push off other overcards or actually has a better hand. i have to 3 bet to find out and if he just calls i could bet the turn and get raised, having invested a small bet extra when im probably drawing slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, God forbid, a whole small bet. That's so much more important than protecting our hand.

[ QUOTE ]

by c/r i establish my hand strength for 2 bets instead of 3, especially against a utg raiser where im either a huge dog or he has ak. on top of that, the c/r ties on the other two players for 2 bets on the flop instead of 1 from leading out (or possibly 0 if UTG raises)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, exactly, do you want to tie the other two players to the pot with 99 on a ten-high board? You want them to either fold or make a mistake by calling...and check-raising doesn't help the cause.

[ QUOTE ]

if you guys are going to tell me to take a certain line, give some reasons why you prefer it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like giving the analysis to posters on a silver platter. It's a lot better if they do some of it themselves.

Will

WillMagic 05-22-2005 10:21 AM

Yeah, people never call one bet on the river with AK or AQ.

Nobody's that stupid.

Will

damaniac 05-22-2005 10:24 AM

I really think you need to bet out. Check-raising does indeed get maximum value, but you also tie everyone to the pot and make sure that they see the turn card, and there are a lot of cards that could hurt you. Betting at least gives you a chance to protect your hand if UTG raises (with overcards, since him raising on overpair doesn't exactly protect your hand).

And the river is an easy easy easy value bet.

Nick Royale 05-22-2005 10:26 AM

I agree with you, but your reasoning is somewhat flawed IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, God forbid, a whole small bet. That's so much more important than protecting our hand

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you agree that puttting this SB (as a 3-bet) in the pot would be wrong, right?

[ QUOTE ]
Why, exactly, do you want to tie the other two players to the pot with 99 on a ten-high board? You want them to either fold or make a mistake by calling

[/ QUOTE ]
The mistake they make by calling these two bets one by one is equal to the mistake they're making calling it 2 cold.

brettbrettr 05-22-2005 10:27 AM

I bet/3-bet the flop. Would be nice to have UTG raise and force out the field. Bet the river too.

brettbrettr 05-22-2005 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, people never call one bet on the river with AK or AQ.

Nobody's that stupid.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

Feeling cheery Will?

WillMagic 05-22-2005 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you, but your reasoning is somewhat flawed IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, God forbid, a whole small bet. That's so much more important than protecting our hand

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess you agree that puttting this SB (as a 3-bet) in the pot would be wrong, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. If there is a coldcaller I won't three-bet, and if I think that the pfr is tricky enough to both cap the flop and bet the turn with overcards I won't three-bet, but in the absence of these circumstances then yes I will three-bet.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Why, exactly, do you want to tie the other two players to the pot with 99 on a ten-high board? You want them to either fold or make a mistake by calling

[/ QUOTE ]
The mistake they make by calling these two bets one by one is equal to the mistake they're making calling it 2 cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. FTOP, my friend.

Will

WillMagic 05-22-2005 10:32 AM

Raindrops keep fallin on my head....

Actually I have a really irritating cold right now.

Will

Nick Royale 05-22-2005 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. If there is a coldcaller I won't three-bet, and if I think that the pfr is tricky enough to both cap the flop and bet the turn with overcards I won't three-bet, but in the absence of these circumstances then yes I will three-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
The absence of a read makes me call down from the raise. A 3-bet puts you in trouble. He could very well just smooth call the flop 3-bet and raise our turn bet with AA/KK or start calling down with QQ/JJ making us unable to fold, but still put in 1 bet/street. Call down from the flop raise and make him keep bluffing is best IMO. As said, a case could be made for betting the river though.

[ QUOTE ]
FTOP, my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's FTOP?