Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Scotch Tasting (NY/NJ) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379347)

sfer 11-16-2005 11:20 AM

Re: Scotch Tasting (NY/NJ)

I predict that most of the participants will taste each scotch twice, with the second tasting having distinct notes of bile and stomach acid.

MaxPower 11-16-2005 11:43 AM

Yeah, in fact I have a bunch of bottles that I will never finish anyway. I have some Bowmore, Talisker, Arbeg 10-year old (which is my favorite), Macallan, a few others. I also have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold in my freezer.

Can we include bourbon just to break up the monotony?

MaxPower 11-16-2005 11:44 AM

The Islay malts are the best ones IMHO.

xadrez 11-16-2005 11:52 AM

I agree about Islay, although Id include Highland Park and Talisker into my favorites.

tonypaladino 11-16-2005 11:54 AM

I'd be up for this. Let me know time/place

KDawgCometh 11-16-2005 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have some Bowmore, Talisker, Arbeg 10-year old (which is my favorite), Macallan, a few others.

[/ QUOTE ]

your selection kicks ass

emil3000 11-16-2005 02:36 PM

These are very good, only Macallan is a favorite, provided it's the 18-year old. The 12-year old Macallan is a fine well-balanced scotch, but nothing special IMO. I only have two bottles right now, Isle of Jura 10-year old, which I hate, and Bruichladdich 15-year old, which I absolutely love. It's a fairly unknown Islay malt, a bit less punch than the rest, but marvellously complex, well-rounded, and with a great lingering finish.

xadrez 11-16-2005 02:40 PM

Just as an aside... for information on Scotch, this website is teh pwn

11-16-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are very good, only Macallan is a favorite, provided it's the 18-year old. The 12-year old Macallan is a fine well-balanced scotch, but nothing special IMO. I only have two bottles right now, Isle of Jura 10-year old, which I hate, and Bruichladdich 15-year old, which I absolutely love. It's a fairly unknown Islay malt, a bit less punch than the rest, but marvellously complex, well-rounded, and with a great lingering finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Macallan 18 is great. Have you tried the 25? WOW. Its expensive as hell... but one bottle for special occasions... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The higher aged Glenlivets are pretty good too. My GF runs a bar here in boston and Glenlivet has events there a lot. They have some great stuff.

emil3000 11-16-2005 02:47 PM

I only dream about the 25 year old. One day... Haven't drunk a lot of Glenlivet, no, only some cheap one which was too tame, IIRC.