Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Regulated human reproduction (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367487)

bobman0330 10-29-2005 05:09 PM

Re: Regulated human reproduction

[ QUOTE ]
Small sample size. Come on, I thought we were all poker players here ^_^

[/ QUOTE ]

My null hypothesis for this sample was that the vote would be 100%-0%, or possibly (if you actually support this) 99.9%-1 vote. Those results allowed me to reject both versions of the null with 100% certainty.

mackthefork 10-29-2005 05:42 PM

I vote NO, also this isn't science fiction it is very easy and very possible for government to impose these types of restrictions.

Mack

Olof 10-29-2005 06:09 PM

I don't think pre-emptive sterilization can ever be morally justified, and I would never accept that the government did this to my future children. I do however think that people who doesn't take care of their children properly should be stopped from reproducing further.

lehighguy 10-29-2005 06:11 PM

I typed up a whole response, but I think it would be wasted. I'm giving this post the attention it deserves.

jokerthief 10-29-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My argument for two basically goes that, based upon the principle that people should have the freedom to do what they want provided that it harms no one else, raising a child in destitute conditions is harmful to that child, and the child should be protected from a shitty existence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes a rather arrogant assumption that no existence is better than a meager existence. This is something no living person can fully justify since so human can comprehend never existing.

Also this assumption could then be used to justify genocide. This is a dark path to be followed.

jokerthief 10-29-2005 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhhhhh....some turn of the century eugenicists called.

They want their ideas back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, some countries had officially sanctioned eugenics programs through the 1970s. I wish such things were 100 years behind us.

And if I had to guess, I don't think it will be 100 years before we see such state-sponsored eugenics programs again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. Do know off hand the names of some of the countries?

Bez 10-29-2005 07:27 PM

No one should ever be given this kind of power. Who the hell has the right to tell me I can't have kids? Also, the population could well fall dramatically over time, messing up the whole country.

Olof 10-29-2005 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell has the right to tell me I can't have kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are an irresponsible deadbeat, I think that innocent responsible people should, as long as they are forced at gunpoint to support your children through tax-funded welfare, definitely be allowed to have a say regarding your future reproduction.

DVaut1 10-29-2005 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhhhhh....some turn of the century eugenicists called.

They want their ideas back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, some countries had officially sanctioned eugenics programs through the 1970s. I wish such things were 100 years behind us.

And if I had to guess, I don't think it will be 100 years before we see such state-sponsored eugenics programs again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada and Sweeden, at least, I think.

jokerthief 10-29-2005 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada and Sweeden, at least, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did some digging and you are right. Some other countries guilty of this: USA, Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Switzerland, Iceland, Singapore, Austrailia, and Norway.

The more I learn about history the darker it becomes.