Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=230228)

The Truth 04-11-2005 01:52 PM

Re: Eric Clapton vs. Jimmy Hendrix

its closer than you guys are making it out to be

"spaceman"Bryce 04-11-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't bother. Clapton shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Jimi.

[/ QUOTE ]
What was Jimi's best song ? Is it "All along the watchtower?" or is it "purple Haze"? or is it something that I wouldnt choose....

touchfaith 04-11-2005 01:52 PM

Randy Rhodes

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Clapton, and it's not close.

Uston 04-11-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's Clapton, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, if you prefer Clapton's music to Jimi's that's cool. If you think that Clapton was or is a superior guitar player, either technically or stylistically, you're terribly misguided.

Boris 04-11-2005 02:06 PM

He's certainly better than Clapton.

PoBoy321 04-11-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, if you prefer Clapton's music to Jimi's that's cool. If you think that Clapton was or is a superior guitar player, either technically or stylistically, you're terribly misguided.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difficulty in this poll is that Hendrix and Clapton have two very different styles. Hendrix plays a fast, rock style, while Clapton leans more towards a slow, bluesy style.

That said, Clapton's mastery of slow blues guitar far surpasses Hendrix's mastery of fast rock guitar.

However, in all fairness, I do think that if he were still around today, Hendrix would be the greatest guitarist the world has ever known, but his career was cut too short and he was never really able to fully mature as an artist.

bholdr 04-11-2005 02:14 PM

I aggree with po boy:

this is an apples and oarnges thing- they're two totally different kinds of musiciand, and to compare the two is unfair. I personally prefer Jimi, but i really appreciate what clapton's done, too.

turnipmonster 04-11-2005 02:20 PM

oh come on. characterizing hendrix's style as "fast rock" is flat out ridiculous.

hogua 04-11-2005 02:22 PM

Jimi was one of the greatest (if not THE greatest), but I can't even image how incredible he'd be if he was still alive today. With another 35 years of experience, no one would even be close.