Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Worst. Reporting. Ever. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291825)

Josh W 07-13-2005 03:45 AM

Re: Worst. Reporting. Ever.

[ QUOTE ]

There has to be at least fifty more from cardplayer, pokerwire, and gutshot over the last three days....

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you saying that the 3 leading WSOP reporting sites all made similar errors (maybe not all on the same hand) many times?

Geez, can you believe it...Shaq, Duncan, Nash AND RAY ALLEN all missed freethrows in the playoffs too.

Nobody's perfect. If it was one site that was making blunders, you'd have a legit complaint. Since they all are, maybe it's tricky to have 100% accurate reporting on 100% of the vital hands 100% of the time.

Take a deep breath. Again.

Josh

benneh 07-13-2005 03:47 AM

this has been happening the entire series. seems logical that the errors would escalate in a a higher tension setting.

calm down. as long as you guys understand who wins the pots and what the chip counts are, who cares?

the only thing i can understand you guys whinning about was the huge messup on cardplayer for the chip counts, but i was out so i dont even know how severe that was...

ziggy_m 07-13-2005 03:49 AM

Josh, they aren't just "errors".

They are typos and such that hit the wire with nary a proofread.

I hate repeating myself, but "Any amateur could immediately recognize and catch these poker oxymorons before they ever hit the wire, with one simple proof."

Josh W 07-13-2005 04:49 AM

typos aren't 'errors'????

there is a need for speed. whichever site has the fastest updates will get the most hits, period.

if you want more accurate reporting, just wait for ESPN's broadcast or for a cardplayer magazine in September.

if you want faster reporting, with a possible accuracy glitch, go to the websites. you really have a simple decision.

and it isn't that simple of proofreading. in the case of two 7 of diamonds, a proofreader could see "yep, that must be wrong", but they'd have NO IDEA of what the actual card is. and, to go back and find out may very well be impossible. sure, they could just substitute an inconsequential card.

or you can, when you read it.

Hey, look, Manny Ramirez struck out. Worst. Batter. Ever.

Josh

ziggy_m 07-13-2005 05:14 AM

Of course, it comes down to speed vs accuracy.

Which do you really want?

I'd prefer they at least proofread once.

If it doesn't make any f'ing sense at all, THEN they could say, "We realize that this doesn't make any sense at all, but we reported it ANYWAY to be the FIRST with CRAP NEWS".

Or perhaps they could wait twenty minutes and not lose credibility with CRAP NEWS.

Josh W 07-13-2005 05:27 AM

again, if they proofread, see two 7 of diamonds, then what do you want them to do?

do you want them to do something that your brain can't automatically do on its own (substitue an inconsequential card?)

Do you want them to:

1.) Substitute an inconsequential card.
2.) Report it as was written down by the tableside reporter, with an obvious error.
3.) Not report the hand at all.
4.) Report the hand with a "?" for a card instead of a repeat card.
5.) Disrupt the tournament floor, players, flow of the game to say "ahem, excuse me, but that hand 5 minutes ago when you had AA vs KK, was the turn the 7c or the 8c?"

I truly am curious if you have a method to propose that is better than their current method.

Josh

ziggy_m 07-13-2005 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3.) Not report the hand at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get it right or don't report it at all.

Like it or not, it's supposed to be "news".

Nathan183 07-13-2005 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is moronic. This isn't CNN or the Wall Street Journal. These are live updates in a very hectic environment. Would you honestly rather not find out what happened that be forced to suffer through reading the same insignificant card twice?

augie00 07-13-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is moronic. This isn't CNN or the Wall Street Journal. These are live updates in a very hectic environment. Would you honestly rather not find out what happened that be forced to suffer through reading the same insignificant card twice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, but there is a difference between "Gavin Griffin doubles up to 320k" and "Gavin Griffin is crippled to 50k"

daveymck 07-13-2005 11:22 AM

Gutshots setup is on one of their videos, basically there is one guy on a laptop with an earpiece and the on the floor reporters shout back stuff via walkie talkie to him, I think they have 4 people floorwalking so the guy on the laptop might have 4 people screaming stuff in his ear at a time so I am sure there is a load of chances for mistakes.

The way things seem at the rio I am surprised the updates have been as good as it sounds like madness, its not like covering a sporting event where you can sit in the press box and keep score.