Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   the dreaded "describe your weaknesses" interview question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=254930)

Patrick del Poker Grande 05-18-2005 10:32 PM

Re: the dreaded \"describe your weaknesses\" interview question

Frankly, if they're going to ask such a lame, unimaginative question, they deserve a stupid, unimaginative answer.

mmbt0ne 05-18-2005 10:34 PM

I find it hard to take work seriously all the time when I make more money from poker than your salary.

*Note: I couldn't say it.

ThaSaltCracka 05-18-2005 10:42 PM

I just recently answered this question with this reply:

I think one thing that is my weakness is sometimes I restrain myself from taking the initiative to learn new things. I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't think I can add anything else to my day, and I think thats a weakness for me because I think it is preventing me from reaching my full potential as a worker. I know I can learn these new things and adapt to the new work load, and I think that is something I need to start doing.

damaniac 05-18-2005 10:45 PM

Smithers: What would each of you say is your worst quality?

Man 1: Well, I <am> a workaholic.
Man 2: I push myself too hard.
Homer: Well, it takes me a long time to learn anything, I'm kind of a goof-off...
Smithers: Okay, that'll do.
Homer: ... a little stuff starts disappearing from the workplace...

bump 05-18-2005 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just recently answered this question with this reply:

I think one thing that is my weakness is sometimes I restrain myself from taking the initiative to learn new things. I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't think I can add anything else to my day, and I think thats a weakness for me because I think it is preventing me from reaching my full potential as a worker. I know I can learn these new things and adapt to the new work load, and I think that is something I need to start doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I think that this is too much of a real weakness and could prohibit you from getting a job if you are in an organization where it is possible to move up the ladder. This shows that you don't have the aptitude for management.

[ QUOTE ]
I accept being underpaid

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was ever interviewing anyone and they said this as an answer to the question you could be damn sure I was going to lowball them on their salary offer!

gorie 05-18-2005 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I WORK WAYYYYY TOO HARD"
"I accept being underpaid"
"I am just too efficient sometimes and I run out of work to do."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these "turn the weakness into a strength" strategies are a little too transparent...

[/ QUOTE ]
i know, i was kind of mocking it.
that's always what you're told to do, but i agree with you.

then again, the "work too hard" thing is probably a safe way to go if you aren't sure what else to say..

gorie 05-18-2005 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I accept being underpaid

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was ever interviewing anyone and they said this as an answer to the question you could be damn sure I was going to lowball them on their salary offer!

[/ QUOTE ]
next interview:
"SOMETIMES I SAY THINGS I SHOULDNT. oh and i am always willing to work a lot of overtime."

slickpoppa 05-18-2005 10:55 PM

My greatest weakness is answering questions about my weaknesses.

Matt Flynn 05-18-2005 10:58 PM

"Kryptonite."

Mr. Zero 05-18-2005 11:03 PM

Here's the thing. It's all relative. If I was to say "I'm too competitive", is that a weakness? As an attorney probably not. But maybe. When I'm playing ping-pong with my girlfriend, it certainly is.

Depending on context I can probably label any character trait as a strength OR a weakness.