Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What's your favorite (variation or made up) home game? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289811)

KJL 07-12-2005 12:56 AM

Re: What\'s your favorite (variation or made up) home game?

Pineapple, Crazy Pineapple, Iron cross, tomahoe are all great texas hold em varations
You should also try chinese poker, It is not really poker,but it is fun and there can be a lot of strategy to it.

kodonnell 07-12-2005 01:48 AM

We play some really crazy games and can recommend some.

Double Flop Crazy Pinapple - I am trying to get this one more popular so you need to try it. Just like crazy pineapple, but there are two flops (and turns and rivers). Winner of each flop splits the pot. Great paradox when figuring which card to toss after the flop. Makes for good size pots.

Cincinnatti - 5 Card draw. After draw (and betting) is completed, place 5 cards face down on board. Flip 1, bet, flip 1, bet, flip 1, bet, flip 1, bet, show. A lot of betting.

And the holy grail of messed up games:

Clusterf**k - 7 Card Stud - Follow the queen and queens, baseball, low chicago, black mariah. So to start 3s, 9s, Qs are wild and the card that follows an up queen is also wild. Potentially 16 wildcards. 4's (up or down) can buy another card. If the queen of spades comes up, everyone still in tosses in their cards, they re-ante, and a new hand is dealt (max 3 times). This keeps people in and the pot will grow huge. With low Chicago it is a seriously crazy game. We play $1 max bet/raise and have had $40 pots. Not much strategy (you want the 2 of spades, a lot of wild cards, and an ace or king). Best hands (7 or 8 handed) is typically 4 of a kind, straight flushes, and yes, five of a kind...(I hear the collective gasp). We play this quite a bit after we have drank a lot. Takes a bit to get used to, but a blast to play (every once in a while).

If you like Anaconda but want a change: - Kings are wild for low and 3s are wild for high.

Or even better:
Love thy neighbor: High only, pass left only, winner splits the pot with the player still in to their right. Another good paradox game...you want to pass good cards, but keep them as well. A pretty good strategy game.

Blind Baseball - 7 cards down. No peek. 3s and 9s are wild. 4s buys another. Not much skill....but kinda fun.

Jersey Nick 07-12-2005 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Blind Baseball - 7 cards down. No peek. 3s and 9s are wild. 4s buys another. Not much skill....but kinda fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
We call it Night Baseball. It's a bitch to be the dealer since everyone else rolls cards and you have to keep putting in bets from the 6 players in front of you before you see your first card...

Lottery Larry 07-12-2005 10:09 AM

Make it high/low to give you a better chance on making decisions.

Jersey Nick 07-12-2005 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it high/low to give you a better chance on making decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice idea. The only time NB worked to my advantage as the dealer was when several guys had rolled a bunch of cards trying to beat an early pair and there was only 1 wild exposed. I knew I had to be sitting a at least a couple of them.

dcasper70 07-12-2005 01:01 PM

THERMONUCLEAR PINEAPPLE

I think I read it on this site somewhere...

Anyways, flop/turn/river hi-lo game. 5 cards dealt to each player.
Toss 1 after the flop, another after the turn, another on the river.

Lottery Larry 07-12-2005 05:19 PM

You might owe us royalties for the use of the name! :P

chesspain 07-12-2005 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pineapple, Crazy Pineapple,

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the difference between these two?

Lottery Larry 07-12-2005 06:00 PM

Pineapple, you discard before the flop. Crazy Pineapple, you discard after the flop (and the betting that results)

broomcorn1 07-13-2005 11:51 AM

if you got guys that want wild cards, there's nothing you can do but suffer through it.

we play 5CS hi/low declare with 2 replacement "buys" after the first 5 are dealt. throw in a milk-betting round after the declare and it's plenty of action.
5 card omaha hi/low 8 or better gets plenty of action as well. still only use 2 cards from your hand, but 5 cards to choose from.