Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   On people who play poker for a living (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=259715)

NYCNative 05-26-2005 03:07 PM

Re: On people who play poker for a living

What charitable organizations are you donating a portion of your "rocks and rings" to? Possibly the volunteer fire department in the city of "Bangin' Bitches?"

Gamblor 05-26-2005 03:09 PM

now you're just being a troll

NYCNative 05-26-2005 03:12 PM

Not even close.

Unless you are donating time and/or money to charities, then you're simply being a hypocrite.

And don't pull the "they make more money than I do" crap. I know a LOT of people who make next to nothing but who volunteer at a soup kitchen once a week.

You want people to make a difference? Start with yourself, friend.

drewjustdrew 05-26-2005 03:13 PM

They reduce traffic congestion because they are either working at home, or traveling the roads at non-peak times. Otherwise, some would have jobs that require peak travel time commutes. If there were more professional poker players, it would free up the extra half hour a day I waste because of traffic congestion.

Don't contribute anything...what BS.

Gamblor 05-26-2005 03:18 PM

Crosspost

Phil2 05-26-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We suck money out of the economy and don't really provide anything in return. We take and take and nobody really benefits from our existence. We are the sewers of the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to comment on this quote; it is just an example of how this post is seriously flawed. You need to explain why and how to make your argument convincing.

It isn't written anywhere that says that to make money in this country you need to be doing something productive for society. Plastic surgeons make a ton off of people's negative image of themselves.

And for the record I have seen Phil Ivey and a few other big names in commercials for programs that help people with gambling problems/addictions.

toots 05-26-2005 03:36 PM

When you posted this, I was sort of curious as to what mix of hostility, denial and rationalization you'd receive.

I have not been disappointed.

mlagoo 05-26-2005 03:59 PM

your opinions are pretty terrible. or at least this one. it seems very self-indulgent, holier-than-thou, and unnecessarily paternalistic. if it helps you sleep at night by giving a dollar a day to someone else, by all means, go for it. don't project your insecurities onto the rest of us.

bottomset 05-26-2005 04:01 PM

how on earth do you have 4500 posts on a gambling forum??

Gamblor 05-26-2005 04:14 PM

dont get me wrong im very interested in gambling and math and statistics and poker.

the question is how to reconcile this interest with my values. to that end, i posted here hoping that other people have gone through the same issues.