Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Securing common chips for home cash game. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213018)

iluzion 03-14-2005 10:45 PM

Re: Securing common chips for home cash game.

id go with decals surely, it wouldnt be worth the effort to get a couple bucks, if you play much higher id definitly get rid of those chips in general though.

Eric H 03-15-2005 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In most locations, a house charge (fee, rake, etc.) makes the game illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

And having a buy-in does'nt?

MattHatter 03-15-2005 01:29 AM

I'll have water for my guests.. tapwater.

And I might share my bag of chips [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

But I just dont need the hassle of collecting money and having 'refreshments' be my problem. I don't want to provide a service. I want to play cards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Matt

SamIAm 03-15-2005 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Correct. If the house is profiting off the game, it's different than if friends get together for fun. Of course this varies from state-to-state.

If you're charging $5/person, then you're running a business. Running a cheap business, but running one never the less. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

jtnt1096 03-15-2005 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the state you are from. A lot of states it is illegal no matter what. Some state poker is legal as long as the house does not take in any money (rake, contributions, etc.)

In my state there is a "social gambling law". You can play poker or any other skill game (no slots, etc.) as long as the house DOES NOT rake the pot, charge a fee to play (such as your $5 recommenation), sell alcohol, or make any sort of profit from the game. The only other rules are that each player must have the opportunity to deal and no player can win or lose more than $50 in a 24 hour period.

We usually play .10/.25 or .25/.50 NL cash games and they are completely legal in my state as long as the requirements are met above.

Here is a link to many of the state gambling laws:

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/

tubalkain 03-15-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the state you are from. A lot of states it is illegal no matter what. Some state poker is legal as long as the house does not take in any money (rake, contributions, etc.)

In my state there is a "social gambling law". You can play poker or any other skill game (no slots, etc.) as long as the house DOES NOT rake the pot, charge a fee to play (such as your $5 recommenation), sell alcohol, or make any sort of profit from the game. The only other rules are that each player must have the opportunity to deal and no player can win or lose more than $50 in a 24 hour period.

We usually play .10/.25 or .25/.50 NL cash games and they are completely legal in my state as long as the requirements are met above.

Here is a link to many of the state gambling laws:

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're in Iowa too.

Think about this: would it be legal for the house to order pizza and overcharge for it (with a 2 slice minimum or something) in order to slowly recover the cost of KEMs/Copags, secure chips, etc?

jtnt1096 03-15-2005 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you're in Iowa too.

Think about this: would it be legal for the house to order pizza and overcharge for it (with a 2 slice minimum or something) in order to slowly recover the cost of KEMs/Copags, secure chips, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a tough argument, but I would think that it would still be considered a "charge to play" if it were required that each person is to purchase pizza.

There was a pretty big debate over this same topic a couple of weeks ago on another board. Some great thoughts on there and it was pretty much determined that any money going to the house (for food, reimbursement of supplies, rake, etc.) would make the game illegal no matter what state you're in.

I guess we won't know for sure until someone is made out to be an example.

MickeyHoldem 03-15-2005 08:49 AM

Go buy some avery white 3/4 inch stickers... make alogo and print them on you printer... I've had mine on for over 2 years... using them every 2 weeks or so... never had any problems...

pic

SugarV 03-15-2005 01:40 PM

I would say hot stamping might be your best bet. If you can't do it...there should be someone decent in the area that should be able to hot stamp. Any bar/gameroom store should be able to do it.

When my old place just started up, and I didn't have a lot of cash to throw away on chips, and needed a lot for the Roulette table...I went the economic way and bought the diamond chips...then, with a sharpie, drew on edge spots along a stack of 20 chips. There wasn't any markings on the face of the chip...just on the edges. It did it trick. I didn't have to worry about anyone bringing chips in.

I finally did away with them, when I made enough to get all custom chips. Maybe you should look into that. Play well for a few weeks in a row, so you can make an extra 500-600 bucks...then get the customs, NexGens, or NJ's.

sv

msb 03-15-2005 01:45 PM

It smacks me a little funny when a guy that has a regular $100 buy-in game balks at spending a couple hundred bucks for some more secure chips (nowhere near $700, by the way).

Buy 500 of these chips for $42 US and get a custom hotstamp on them for another $45 US for a total of $87 (plus shipping). Not a bad investment for a little piece of mind.

http://www.5stardeal.com/website/gam...10-1010grn.jpg