Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AA Withers and Dies (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383295)

QTip 11-22-2005 01:11 PM

Re: AA Withers and Dies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of calling the turn, and raising a blank river, folding to a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a hot plan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather go for an overcall, since I do believe we're beat quite often if the reads is accurate and he knows you play well.

EDIT: on the other hand, why would he not check/raise the turn if he's on KK/JJ? Still you'll probably win the same ammount when going for an overcall when you're ahead and lose 1BB less when behind. And if he's really solid he might even bet/fold this river if he knows you. I don't think the 3rd player will call 2 cold often with a hand you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I like that a TON better. It also elminated a line that includes the word "fold". I actually hate my original line now.

QTip 11-22-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello, this is my first post here although I've been lurking for a while. I'm BB with AK in this hand, and I believe the action I was hoping for on the turn was bet/raise/fold/3-bet and then getting called down by a worse hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I really like your line about calling the turn and then raising a blank river, by the way. Raising immediately on the turn would be fine too imo.

edit: I know that my reasoning is flawed when playing against a solid player, but at the time I wasn't even paying enough attention to the game to notice that I was up against one.

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, I think I prefer 3 betting your hand on the flop. Perhaps that's something to discuss.

Yako 11-22-2005 01:49 PM

QTip, if you had QQ instead of AA, would you still raise the flop? If you did, then BB three-betting the flop would be ok, but if not, then BB should call down I think. Because after you cap, and BB bets, what are you raising that doesn't at least tie BB? After the pf action your possible hands are AA, KK, QQ, and maybe AK (don't know if you cap that or not). Combos:
AA - 3
KK - 1
QQ - 6
AK - 6

So you have 4 Combos ahead, 6 combos that tie, and 6 that lose. However, when you raise the flop, I think QQ gets discounted a lot, because it just isn't really ahead of a lot of BB's 3betting range. BB 3bets AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, and maybe AQ here. But when you bets out on the flop, what can he really have?
AA ties you, KK beats you, JJ beats you, I don't think BB would bet it with QQ, TT and AQ, and the only hand you beat is AK. Combos:

AA - 1
KK - 3
JJ - 3
AK - 6

So you tie 1, lose to 6, and beat 6. With QQ though, you're behind pretty much everything, so I wonder if you should raise it in this spot. If you do, I think you can fold to BB's turn bet though, which is why BB should three-bet the flop. But if you don't, then he should just call down, and bet into you when he rivers his king. You guys agree?

QTip 11-22-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QTip, if you had QQ instead of AA, would you still raise the flop? If you did, then BB three-betting the flop would be ok, but if not, then BB should call down I think. Because after you cap, and BB bets, what are you raising that doesn't at least tie BB? After the pf action your possible hands are AA, KK, QQ, and maybe AK (don't know if you cap that or not). Combos:
AA - 3
KK - 1
QQ - 6
AK - 6

So you have 4 Combos ahead, 6 combos that tie, and 6 that lose. However, when you raise the flop, I think QQ gets discounted a lot, because it just isn't really ahead of a lot of BB's 3betting range. BB 3bets AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, and maybe AQ here. But when you bets out on the flop, what can he really have?
AA ties you, KK beats you, JJ beats you, I don't think BB would bet it with QQ, TT and AQ, and the only hand you beat is AK. Combos:

AA - 1
KK - 3
JJ - 3
AK - 6

So you tie 1, lose to 6, and beat 6. With QQ though, you're behind pretty much everything, so I wonder if you should raise it in this spot. If you do, I think you can fold to BB's turn bet though, which is why BB should three-bet the flop. But if you don't, then he should just call down, and bet into you when he rivers his king. You guys agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good to me. I raise QQ here now and then.