Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Favorite ignorances (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=350343)

Blarg 10-04-2005 03:26 PM

Re: Favorite ignorances

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Ballet -- super cool for about one minute, then awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiousity, what happens during this super-cool minute you're referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]

A chick or two looks pretty hot and does some amazing stuff. Maybe some fruity looking dude does some outrageous jump or something that you know you could never do. Then that chick looks cute again, maybe does something else cool. But then you've seen what there is to see, and get that uncomfortable feeling more and more that you get when you're with a girl who actually enjoys watching street mimes for a long, long time.

SocialWelfareIV 10-04-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'll have to work on this respknse awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake's plans for future posts.

RunDownHouse 10-04-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One at the top of my list would be women's sports. WNBA, LPGA, women's college sports etc. The olympics don't count here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Careful. There's no difference in general between women's sports and men's. You implicitly acknowledge as much by excluding the Olympics. You can make the argument for specific sports - the WNBA being the prime, shining example - but not in the general case.

To Blarg wrt female lit: have you read Toni Morrison's stuff? "Claustraphobic" etc would be just about the last descriptors I would choose.

Blarg 10-04-2005 03:37 PM

This is a good one. I don't like "reality" shows either, and especially don't like all the breathless coverage of them on what's supposed to be news shows, but which are mostly just doing barely-concealed promos for the ones on their own network. Constantly!

Peca277 10-04-2005 03:46 PM

I have to disagree with the local politics issue. Maybe I just care because I work for a State Representative, but local and state officials actually have a larger effect on your life than federal. Maybe you don't care about the school board now, but you sure as hell better care if/when you have kids in school.

The people who make decisions on what type of development is allowed in your area are local officials. The people who decide whether or not that road goes through your house are often local officials. The ones who are actually willing to speak with you personally to solve a problem are local officials.

It pains me to see people who want all these services and complain when their bus doesn't come on time... but then say they don't care about local politics.

noggindoc 10-04-2005 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4. Football -- too many breaks in the action; I don't wanna learn more so I can understand what makes the game really exciting, and don't apologize. This is a boring game, to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should apologize...

Blarg 10-04-2005 03:52 PM

Never read Toni Morrison. Some of the ones I've read that come to mind right away are Marianne Moore, Emily Dickinson, Jayne Anne Phillips(liked a lot of her stuff), Alice Walker(hated The Color Purple big time), Anne Beatty(liked almost none of it), Joyce Carol Oates(both liked and disliked strongly), Cynthia Ozick(hated all her stuff). Never did get to what most people would consider the older classics, like the Brontes or Wharton.

A high percentage of "darlings of the New Yorker" in there. I think the New Yorker and its idea of fiction is often incredibly pretentious, trivial, and leaden.

Blarg 10-04-2005 03:59 PM

Well, these are a selection of ignorances, not virtues, or a prescription for anyone else. I admit that while some of them reflect entirely my not giving a damn about things that truly don't matter, some of them just reflect shortcomings I'm not willing to do the work to change.

Ulysses 10-04-2005 04:02 PM

Blarg, you might be my favorite poster. Excellent topic.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Ballet

2. Opera

7. Local politics

12. Fixing stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent picks. I will post later with some of my own.

Ulysses 10-04-2005 04:03 PM

Golf, except for Tiger Woods and maybe Michelle Wie.