Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CNN- Poker seen fading in the US (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405057)

imported_leader 12-26-2005 12:57 AM

Re: CNN- Poker seen fading in the US

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I watch much less poker on TV then I used to. Of course, I don't represent everyone, but I think watching NL poker tourneys over and over gets a little dry. Especially since you could just do play one yourself fairly easily for very little money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of this. I differ in that I play limit ring games, so there's even less appeal to these TV tournaments from my vantage point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play limit 6-max. Once poker became a job for me, it become less attractive as entertainment.

Greg J 12-26-2005 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's quite significant that there're media stories about the falloff in poker. Whether it's true or not, media outlets like CNN form opinion. Their power doesn't neccessarily lie in reporting the truth, it lies in reporting what becomes conventional wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]
The zoo often gets a bad rap, but occasionally we get someone that knows what the hell he is talking about. I mostly agree with this. The big thing is that poker will not longer be as cool -- it will be seen as "kind of 2004." Hopefully it will still be kind of cool in pop culture, but unforutunately it will never be as cool.

smb394 12-26-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I watch much less poker on TV then I used to. Of course, I don't represent everyone, but I think watching NL poker tourneys over and over gets a little dry. Especially since you could just do play one yourself fairly easily for very little money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of this. I differ in that I play limit ring games, so there's even less appeal to these TV tournaments from my vantage point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play limit 6-max. Once poker became a job for me, it become less attractive as entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha, couldn't tell from your other post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I wonder what is driving these articles. They don't even mention online.

dbirider16 12-26-2005 04:55 AM

Here's what I see
2002 wcoop $1000: Total Prize Pool: $238,000
2003 wcoop $1000: Total Prize Pool: $891,000
2004 wcoop $2500: Total Prize Pool: $2,107,500
2005 wcoop $2500: Total Prize Pool: $3,735,000

Same with the WSOP. Poker has a lot of slowing down to do before it fades.

Uglyowl 12-26-2005 09:26 AM

Instead of seeing 80-100% annual growth, online poker is down to 30-40% annual growth.

Yes it is slowing growth, but this happens with any industry and those are darn strong numbers still.