Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you've been warned, etc.) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=242506)

SippinSoma 04-30-2005 11:46 AM

Re: OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you\'ve been warned, e

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you explained that your starting requirements were for limit hold em, since the overwhelming majority of WPT-inspired home games are no limit...

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Owned. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nick C 04-30-2005 12:42 PM

Re: OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you\'ve been warned, etc.)

Fun post.

As an aside, I feel uncomfortable, sometimes, giving poker advice outside these forums to my non-poker-playing friends, because so often what that advice amounts to is telling them they need to be raising when they're quite likely not a favorite to win the hand.

For those who aren't thinking in terms of equity advantages and picking up outs, it is sort of counter-intuitive.

Fortunately, though, most of my non-poker-playing friends don't ask for advice much.

OtisTheMarsupial 04-30-2005 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When he asks for "some terms he can learn so he doesn't look like a retard" you really missed an opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart 04-30-2005 01:26 PM

You really needed to tell him to say "Do you see why?" everytime he put a chip in the pot.

brimstone1 04-30-2005 01:38 PM

I'd 3-bet the flop and call the rive..
oh wai...

nice [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

private joker 04-30-2005 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fun post.

As an aside, I feel uncomfortable, sometimes, giving poker advice outside these forums to my non-poker-playing friends, because so often what that advice amounts to is telling them they need to be raising when they're quite likely not a favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wouldn't get that advanced with this guy. I'm not going to tell him to raise on a flush draw to get a free card. ("You can have a free card?!")

I didn't get into any strategy, just the absolute basics of starting hand selection & general theory. Explaining why AKs is a good hand. When it's correct to check (I didn't explain checkraising). The proper etiquette of not acting out of turn (which he got immediately -- "Oh, you mean like if you fold before it's your turn, the other guys know you're not a risk and they can bet more") and why people talk about position.

And Scrub -- yes, NL starting hands are different, but even if he plays NL, I think he's better off knowing KQs is stronger than J4o, and that 99 is preferable to Q2o. If you've seen these home games, it's just "oh what is it to me?" and they robotically call any amount preflop with any two cards; my boss will not do that now.

cold_cash 04-30-2005 03:04 PM

Can I be in the next Terminator movie?

Michael Davis 04-30-2005 06:26 PM

"And some of the cutest sweaters to go with it."

You didn't even see the best ones, Evan. I've got one that's baby blue and has a bunch of stripes running randomly down the left side and looks very unbalanced. I think it's Ted Baker. I'll wear it next time I see you and maybe you can spend the night.

Sorry for continuing to hijack. Not really.

-Michael