Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Road Courtesy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=289431)

Arbogast 07-09-2005 12:29 PM

Re: Road Courtesy

I live in St. Louis, and have been saved many times by the flashing light people. Maybe it's cause I speed so much.

My biggest beef - people who like to enforce the speed limit in the passing lane, or people who match speeds on a two lane road, blocking everyone else behind them.

I'm a big believer in using the left lane to let people make a right. Glad to hear there are others (although apparently not is St. Louis).

-Arbogast

TheTROLL 07-09-2005 01:57 PM

Used to be common practice in the UK too, but human roadside speed traps are pretty rare now with the advent of those infernal cameras...

gonores 07-09-2005 02:05 PM

The practice of pulling people over for flashing high-beams is not uncommon in Wisconsin. Then again, high-beam flashing is a very common practice for motorists. We don't just do it to alert people to cops...we do it any time a driver should pay extra attention to the road (accident ahead, deer spottings, junk in the road, etc.)

I'd say the weeks I've either flashed or been flashed slightly outnumber the weeks I haven't flashed or been been flashed.

lucas9000 07-09-2005 02:06 PM

i do this too, when appropriate. generally when i'm driving though i just want a machine gun turret to "flash" at other drivers.

ChipWrecked 07-09-2005 02:26 PM

People in the Ozarks will nearly always flash for a speed trap.

Of course, they also wave to other drivers and all kinds of goofy, friendly stuff.

spamuell 07-09-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Used to be common practice in the UK too, but human roadside speed traps are pretty rare now with the advent of those infernal cameras...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do speed cameras actually bother you? They are SO easy to spot, there is a huge yellow box which you can see from hundreds of feet away, and there are white lines on the road.

The only reason you wouldn't see a speed camera ahead would be if it was around a corner and you really shouldn't be speeding around corners if you don't know the area.

You can really only get flashed if you're not looking at the road and that actually is dangerous. And even then, half of the cameras don't work anyway.

Dead 07-09-2005 03:03 PM

I do this sometimes, but I don't use high beams. I just turn the headlights on and off 3 or 4 times. Am I doing it wrong?

ChipWrecked 07-09-2005 03:11 PM

Depends whether you'd rather be gunned down by a gang, or kill a helpless squirrel.

mason55 07-09-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And a friend of mine has told me that he saw someone get pulled over for doing this, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many states tried to do this on under many different laws. It was appealed and found to be a free speach right. Thus OP's friend probably did get pulled over but it is no longer illegal (it might still be on the books in some states but there is precendent if you really want to fight it)

The Dude 07-09-2005 03:22 PM

I wouldn't say you're doing it wrong - I'm sure they get the point the same. Unless of course it's at night, I'd rather flash high beams than turn my lights off for a split second.

Does anybody else find it strange that someone from the UK is trying to tell us what we should and shouldn't encourage in our legas system? MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.