Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Tough river decision (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402627)

Kyriefurro 12-21-2005 01:08 PM

Re: Tough river decision

Against a relative unknown, I think I'm calling here.

Villain's push is really just a single PSB. Like the other posters, I think a set would have raised earlier. And while the river did complete a straight, there are just too many other possible hands out there that could play like this. This type of play could easily come from a villain w/ AK, AQ, A9 or T9 - especially if he really is TAG since you showed so much weakness with that river check. For that matter if villain's a good TAG, there's a fair chance this is a bluff.

12-21-2005 03:18 PM

I don't believe he hit the straight. I call.

soah 12-21-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike some others I don't mind opening up with ATo here. It's been folded to you in late middle position and while I won't always raise ATo here I will do it often enough as I don't like just limping if no one has opened yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a debate between raising or limping, it's a question of raising or folding. I used to routinely open ATo three spots from the button (this is UTG in six-max) against absolutely terrible competition, and after studying my results in Pokertracker I realized this was a leak. fimbulwinter once mentioned folding AJo in this spot, and he is (was?) one of the loosest successful 2+2ers. Even against terrible opponents you're not going to flop something you really love very often, and against better players you're going to end up in a lot of bad spots.

12-21-2005 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unlike some others I don't mind opening up with ATo here. It's been folded to you in late middle position and while I won't always raise ATo here I will do it often enough as I don't like just limping if no one has opened yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a debate between raising or limping, it's a question of raising or folding. I used to routinely open ATo three spots from the button (this is UTG in six-max) against absolutely terrible competition, and after studying my results in Pokertracker I realized this was a leak. fimbulwinter once mentioned folding AJo in this spot, and he is (was?) one of the loosest successful 2+2ers. Even against terrible opponents you're not going to flop something you really love very often, and against better players you're going to end up in a lot of bad spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not limping ATo from this spot.

12-21-2005 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why no blocking bet on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

That let's the flush draw get away for free. I'd rather give a missed draw a chance to bluff at it.

Isura 12-21-2005 06:02 PM

Results

I brought the timer all the way down, and finally called. Villain shows QJo and MHING.

jhall23 12-21-2005 07:36 PM

Re: Results

Post flop looks good to me including the call. I just don't feel comfortable laying down here with only 50 hands on the guy.

If I have noticed that the guy is very aggro though I will sometimes go for a c/r all-in on the turn. Against typical .5/1 players I just keep betting like you did.

I haven't played ring in a while online, but I lean more toward Soah's line of folding this pre-flop. Too likely to get 1 of the 3 behind you to call and then play this crap OOP. PlusiIn ring since there are 4 fold's to you the deck is going to be richer for those yet to act. In 6-max I often fold UTG as well, but there are tables where I raise it.