Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   River Value-Bluff (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377568)

Surfbullet 11-13-2005 07:11 PM

Re: River Value-Bluff

[ QUOTE ]
what does everyone think of c/r this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a flop c/r here is a pretty decent plan, especially since Hero judges villain's pf capping standards to be light. Given that we didn't, this is a great turn to c/r to protect our hand / drive out small PPs from BB.

Surf

krishanleong 11-13-2005 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damnit. The mythical value-bluff still eludes me. One day...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure value bluffs are very stupid. I do understand the concept but the situations in which a player could fold a better hand or call with a worse one are usually misplayed on a street opening up a spot for an unusual play. I wouldn't look to value bluff ever.

Krishan

Danenania 11-13-2005 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damnit. The mythical value-bluff still eludes me. One day...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure value bluffs are very stupid. I do understand the concept but the situations in which a player could fold a better hand or call with a worse one are usually misplayed on a street opening up a spot for an unusual play. I wouldn't look to value bluff ever.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Value bluff opportunities usually arise in huge pots when you have something marginal but showdownable against an unknown (or unknowns). Since your opponent is unknown it's possible he'll fold a better hand, but as we know in large pots people will also call with some ridiculous holdings.

There is also the value bluff raise, a multiway squeeze play whereby in one fell swoop you cause both a better hand to fold and a worse hand to call. This is rare and beautiful and is sometimes considered the holy grail of value bluffs.

Victor 11-13-2005 09:05 PM

the bluff part is incorrect.

11-13-2005 10:12 PM

The only good, non-fictional value bluffs that you should worry about are when you have reason to believe your opponent missed his draw but you still can't win a showdown (usually because you've missed some draw as well).

11-13-2005 10:54 PM

This might actually be a value-bet

TStoneMBD 11-13-2005 10:59 PM

im not sure if i like the bet but im leaning towards a no.

one thing that i think needs consideration is that the BB will often have a pair that he checks on the river. by betting you are valuebetting his hand for him when he wouldnt do it himself.

i think there is value in a bet vs ace high and i do not think this is a bluff attempt, but with the BB in the hand i prefer checking.

i also think MP will sometimes check behind with a pair that cant beat an 8 or a J.

Lmn55d 11-13-2005 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also think MP will sometimes check behind with a pair that cant beat an 8 or a J

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt he caps 77 or less preflop. I think he has ATs/AQ/AK here a ton. You have a good point, however, about BB checking a better hand on the river. I did think about this factor at the time. The only reason I thought it might be a little bit of a bluff was that I thought sometimes this TAG might fold a chopping AK, especially if he has to overcall. Everyone seems to think this isn't the case though. SO maybe not.

Lmn55d 11-13-2005 11:20 PM

now that I think of it, I really doubt a TAG overcalls with AK here. So this bet has to have some bluff value, yes? If BB calls with any ace. Since I'm bluffing out a chopper and it won't happen too often it might not be of much value. But I think it's there.

Lmn55d 11-14-2005 02:10 PM

RESULTS

Villain shows AK and OHAG.