Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Protecting my overpair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318401)

Nick C 08-19-2005 02:58 AM

Re: Protecting my overpair

[ QUOTE ]
True. I think that in general, I need to fold more on the turn to a raise, particularly a check raise.

Thanks for the advice and illustration. I don't play 5/10 much, but at 3/6 I would expect KK-AA about 80% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without doing the math, let me just say that if it's only 80% (we should throw QQ in there, though), I think you should continue.

And 5/10 isn't 3/6. I've learned that much. I may not have learned how to adjust yet, but I have learned they're not the same game.

private joker 08-19-2005 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would expect KK-AA about 80% of the time here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, you should call down since you're getting 15:2 to call down. But I think, especially throwing QQ in there, we're a loser 90% of the time.

jstewsmole 08-19-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this were 3/6, I'd say that your opponent has KK or AA for sure. But it's 5/10 so he could have a lot of hands that you beat (77+, AK, AQ, AJ)

[/ QUOTE ]

People will raise the turn in this situation with AJ at 5/10?

[censored] that [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

XlgJoe 08-19-2005 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sure, sometimes he has TT, but the vast majority he has QQ-AA, and it's -EV to call down 2 more and find out. Regardless of results, I -- and all of you -- should fold to the turn raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe TT is possible(which I would and maybe more hands you can beat) than I don't see how it can be -EV to call down. That should put you at 25% chance to win.

flair1239 08-19-2005 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this were 3/6, I'd say that your opponent has KK or AA for sure. But it's 5/10 so he could have a lot of hands that you beat (77+, AK, AQ, AJ)

With no reads, I think you played it well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your range is too broad for no reads. After the PF cap we can rule out AJs/o, AQo,...hands like that. The turn raise kind of confirms it is a overpair, and I am assuming with no reads you have to give credit for at least TT.

Depending upon the read I would fold this often. The more aggressive the opponent the more likely I am to call down. But there are many players I would laydown against. So not too cop out, but I need reads. But getting 7-1 against a player who just took a value extraction line on me after capping PF.

sfer 08-19-2005 11:03 AM

This is a case where the flop 3-bet helps you control how many bets get you to showdown as much as anything else. You play fast on the flop and basically make sure that you aren't spraying 4 BBs on the big streets, which, almost always means you lose unimproved.

Borno 08-19-2005 11:13 AM

since mp2 likely has a higher overpair I c/c the turn and river, your not protecting anymore, its HU.

sfer 08-19-2005 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since mp2 likely has a higher overpair I c/c the turn and river, your not protecting anymore, its HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting the flop and checking the turn to give 6 outers a free river is very bad poker.

Borno 08-19-2005 11:18 AM

I recant I bet/fold the turn.

sfer 08-19-2005 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recant I bet/fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be worse.